Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get the 5.75 concentric

...was trying to decide between adding on the 9x8 or the 5.75. I think the 9x8 would not be different enough to spend the money on, so I think I'll get the 5.75 as my second coil...

I like using the 5.75 concentric and to a lesser degree, the 5.75 widescan, both better than the 9x8. The 5.75c is my most used coil, on both 4 and 5 pin Tesoros.

For a concentric coil in the 9x8 size, I prefer the good old 8" donut. Depth seems about the same. The donut feels lighter to me and doesn't have spokes to get caught on twigs.
Just not as fond of that 9x8.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna get one, but will wait a couple weeks or more. Hopefully I'll take delivery on DeLeon by Wed.

Before returning it, I tried this size coil on a Makro Racer, and loved it. It didn't seem to miss anything.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some sellers...

Most likely because that one comes with the scuff cover. So far when I find price discrepancies that's why.

I notice most differences are because some sellers advertise the items excluding shipping, while some do include it. One ebay seller of Tesoro stuff seemingly has great prices on new coils...then you see his $16 shipping charge, for a coil that weighs less than a pound...

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 5.75 came in this week. I have been using a 11x8 widescan coil on my Vaquero, which I have liked, but it is not the quickest to pinpoint an item with the DD coils. I put on the 5.75 and headed to a playground near my house. Two things that I noticed right away. 1) The smaller size was really noticeable as far as covering ground, I had to slow down and make tighter sweeps. The widescan is great for covering a lot of ground fast, not so much with the 5.75. Not bad, but I had to slow down. But the great part of why I bought it, 2) It really pinpoints an object fast. When I came across a coin, it was always right under the center, easy to find. I could dig a small hole and out popped the coin. At times with the wide scan, the coin might sometimes be off to the side slightly of the hole I dug, causing me to dig a little more, and spend more time digging.
I found a lot of coins quickly in my 30 min test run, as I could pinpoint the exact spot, pop the coin out, and keep moving. I really like it for an area that is trashy like a playground, but if I had a large lot or a field to cover, I might opt to put on the 11x8 widescan for covering more ground. Nice to have both.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try it over bottlecaps...

My 5.75 came in this week. I have been using a 11x8 widescan coil on my Vaquero, which I have liked, but it is not the quickest to pinpoint an item with the DD coils. I put on the 5.75 and headed to a playground near my house. Two things that I noticed right away. 1) The smaller size was really noticeable as far as covering ground, I had to slow down and make tighter sweeps. The widescan is great for covering a lot of ground fast, not so much with the 5.75. Not bad, but I had to slow down. But the great part of why I bought it, 2) It really pinpoints an object fast. When I came across a coin, it was always right under the center, easy to find. I could dig a small hole and out popped the coin. At times with the wide scan, the coin might sometimes be off to the side slightly of the hole I dug, causing me to dig a little more, and spend more time digging.
I found a lot of coins quickly in my 30 min test run, as I could pinpoint the exact spot, pop the coin out, and keep moving. I really like it for an area that is trashy like a playground, but if I had a large lot or a field to cover, I might opt to put on the 11x8 widescan for covering more ground. Nice to have both.

I think you'll find that with the 5.75 concentric, bottlecaps will just give clicks and pops around the nickel range, whereas with the 11x8, they may still sound like a coin there. I find the discrimination to be much better with the concentrics of all sizes, but yeah; a Widescan covers much better.
The 5.75 will slow you down, and you lose some depth. I think the lighter weight, better pinpointing, target separation and best of all, improved discrimination, make up for it.

For anyone who doesn't believe a smaller concentric can work better in some respects, than their DD (widescan), I suggest you try the "nailboard" test. DD coils on a Tesoro fail, but the concentrics will open your eyes...

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody weigh the Vaquero with the 5.75" coil? On Tesoro site it states it is 2.2lbs with the smaller concentric would this be less say just above 2lbs? Mine is so easy to swing that yes I caught myself swinging fast and I needed to slow down even more so with this coil. The setup is likely just like a Compadre for weight comparison now.:occasion14:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took delivery on the 5.75 Concentric yesterday. Removed the stock 8x9 and installed the smaller coil on my DeLeon.
Only had about 30 min to try it out and found 2 pennies right out my front yard.
With arthritis in my hands, I sure liked the light weight.
No need to go to AM to PP. I mean it was right in the middle. Double wow wow.
Until our beach trip on Feb 15th, the 5.75 will stay mounted.
I like it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread