9.5 Inch Possible Roman Crucifixion Nail with Organic Remains

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this nail at a local auction 2 or so years ago with a bunch of other Medieval and church artifacts from Spain. Looking at it recently, I saw that it has what looks like petrified flesh under the head!! I wanted to show it for it seemed too amazing to be true. Hi I am new to the forum from near Sioux Falls South Dakota. I just bought a Garrett AT-Pro and love history and treasure hunting. I believe that much of history is waiting out there to be found even in this lonely state. -Doug

Attachments

• IMG_8944.JPG
    IMG_8944.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_9064.JPG
    IMG_9064.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8951.JPG
    IMG_8951.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8949.JPG
    IMG_8949.JPG
    651.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_8956.JPG
    IMG_8956.JPG
    465.7 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 9

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to see a pic of the other church relics, if they are period pieces as well. I know that to this day, there are reenactment ceremonies where a spike is actually nailed through the hand of a person hanging on a cross in a crucifixion reenactment. They still do these on Good Friday in the Philippines and in Mexico to this day but there are reports of this being done in Spain as well in recent times.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!

My mind INSTANTLY says, "what if that spike was one of THE spikes that nailed Jesus to the cross.... Whew! Then my skeptical side jumps in and says, "yeah, but it was the typical form of Roman execution for a long time." Such a neat find!! Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other relics are amazing too. I assume the silver dollar was just for scale. Wish I knew more about these types of artifacts. Very nice collection/purchase. :-) Thanks for the pics!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it's an ancient Roman spike, more likely Medieval because it doesn't look like it was buried, and very few items from antiquity were kept indoors and decently protected until the present day, especially simple things like iron spikes. If it is indeed human flesh stuck in there I'd suspect it was used to spike enemy/criminal heads or limbs to walls and whatnot. Maybe used by Spanish Inquisitors to extract confessions of heresy. Interesting piece whatever the case.

OP
OP
Dakota Sioux

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that may be a reasonable conclusion. Looking at it I believe it was never buried. I am going to get it examined by the Milwaukee Public Museum to start.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to hearing the results of the examination...very interesting piece.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and keep us posted

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know its a roman crucifixion nail.
If so is type used at death of our Lord Jesus Christ ?

OP
OP
Dakota Sioux

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is tough to answer that question, I think there is but one nail that is stuck through a heel bone discovered. I do not know that mine is that, just that I think its worth looking into it because it gave me chills when I discovered it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread