DSCF0013.JPG

Upvote 27

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff I have hunted a local fair grounds for the past 3 years, off an on and the oldest coin I ever dug was a 1943 wheat penny. 2 weeks ago another MDer came up to me and asked how I was doing. I stated I was enjoying the cladfest and pulled out about $12 in clad, (mostly quarters) for about 2 hours of swinging. He pulled out his 3 finds. An IHP, a Merc and a wheatie. He was using the Minelab Explorer II. I think I need to slow my swing down a little and go back to check out come other areas, even though many tons of pea gravel have been laid down decades ago and the land has been increasingly developed over time. Ypou just never know until you swing the coil over the land. Congrats on getting out there and digging some targets.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I have hunted a local fair grounds for the past 3 years, off an on and the oldest coin I ever dug was a 1943 wheat penny. 2 weeks ago another MDer came up to me and asked how I was doing. I stated I was enjoying the cladfest and pulled out about $12 in clad, (mostly quarters) for about 2 hours of swinging. He pulled out his 3 finds. An IHP, a Merc and a wheatie. He was using the Minelab Explorer II. I think I need to slow my swing down a little and go back to check out come other areas, even though many tons of pea gravel have been laid down decades ago and the land has been increasingly developed over time. Ypou just never know until you swing the coil over the land. Congrats on getting out there and digging some targets.

My oldest coin here was a King George Coppper.

Got my First Shield Nickle here also.

Have seen a 3Cent Piece, a seated Dime & A large cent found here by others.
I stuck to a small area today. The Sun shone Bright for at least 70 Minutes so I hogged the
shade. by the time I was pretty close to Baked. The clouds came.
Yes like most Fairgrounds. there is plenty of Clad.
this was the lowest number of memorials I ever got here in one hunt though.
apparently, I picked the right spot :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are definite possibilities there I have an old fairground here in Ann Arbor and believe me I see no other people detecting accept one recently and we have done some hunts together anyway it was on this site I saw someone posted about hunting these fairgrounds by me then a slew of people complaining about them tearing up the grass and they said it wasn't us ect ect ect and blamed some others so I don't go there I don't want conflict from people who live in the area about what others have done it was burns park you could probably find the post but at least yours seems huntable without drama..Hope slowing down works for ya it seems to work for me with dimes a lot Good luck Thanks for the cool post!!!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are definite possibilities there I have an old fairground here in Ann Arbor and believe me I see no other people detecting accept one recently and we have done some hunts together anyway it was on this site I saw someone posted about hunting these fairgrounds by me then a slew of people complaining about them tearing up the grass and they said it wasn't us ect ect ect and blamed some others so I don't go there I don't want conflict from people who live in the area about what others have done it was burns park you could probably find the post but at least yours seems huntable without drama..Hope slowing down works for ya it seems to work for me with dimes a lot Good luck Thanks for the cool post!!!!!

I don't hunt it allot Because of local problems with one woman.

I've had permission for here since the '80's.
Grounds Keepers , and Fairgrounds officials, have been very friendly over the last 30 years
approximately 8 years ago I had a bunch of Friends over
hunting it with me. ( 3 )
and an elderly woman drives in and directly to me and tells me it's private property.
Of course I explain by saying what I did above in blue.
she tells me I better ask again. since then I have asked 3 Times.
Each time I'd fear was 1 too many. :tongue3:
But always get a "Sure ! You should hunt it after the Fair " :icon_thumright:
which most people don't realize I'm after Old fair losses not new ones.
Anyway I live in fear of her coming by again because I refuse to ask for written Permission
from Friendly people. so I have no proof.
but it may scare them. so my hunts there are usually
far and few between. and Preferably when the Grounds keeper or other is on site.

Last edited:

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look's like a lot of area to cover, Must be a lot more great finds there":occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful place to hunt, congratulations on the finds!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bring some duct tape for the HAG. I'm still seething over the beeatcch that killed my 1650 parking lot tear out. SNOOPS are a plague on the planet, now I feel better not

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff--what a cool post. I love the chronological plot plans! Congrats on your finds. -Lisa

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great area to be able to detect! Great hunt. :occasion14:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.
I have permission to hunt a Fairgrounds near me as well. (written permission in the form of a saved email). There have been fairs here for over 50 years. Last time out, I found more colored light covers from rides than anything else. I need to go back and try again.
As for the old woman who confronted you, tell her you have permission and renew it regularly. Yell her... If she still doesn't like it, she to go jump in the creek (or any other derogatory statement you care to use in place of my forum friendly on). I hate busy bodies with nothing better to do.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That place has potential, some others hidden beauties are waiting for your coil for sure.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....starting to look remarkably like one of my postings! ;)

Nice!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....starting to look remarkably like one of my postings! ;)

Nice!

I was thinking the same :tongue3:
Rare I hunt places with Quarters in that quantity under my coil

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt my local fairgrounds in the winter. Usually find 8 bucks in clad in two to three hours. One day it started raining and I went into the covered buildings. Show arenas, pig, barn, ect. Lots of clad in the wood chips and pea gravel. Try those show arenas also............HH.

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice research - hopefully it will pay off more in future hunts at that site.

My town has an old fairgrounds and racetrack that was converted to house sites in the 1950s - the race track is now a street in the development. I'd love to be able to spend some time detecting those back yards.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice location and hunts. I love the progression of historic maps and photos that you've presented!:icon_thumright:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good research connecting the past with the present using those old maps! But maybe most of the old relics were scooped up during modern construction work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread