A Connecticut Copper I've Never Seen

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a few Connecticut coppers, but not like this one. The obverse appears to be a bust facing left variety, with CONNEC clearly visible down the right side. I don't recognize the left side. It doesn't look like AUCTORI. The reverse is way different. No INDE. It looks like LIB ERTAS broken up along the base (where the date should be) followed by ET and then an illegible word. No date I can see. What's up with this coin? Some odd counterfeit?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492136806.527535.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492136858.650326.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AMAZING! Seriously one incredible coin... The overstrike Nova CT copper really is a piece of state copper history... and the condition is pretty sweet too. Great job with the animated gifs too... Really like how you use them to show the overstrike.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one Novel copper coin-
So much History packed into it.
Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic piece of American History, congratulations!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a super interesting, super rare find. Thanks for sharing. i'm always impressed with the collective brain trust here at T-Net.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, dear god that is a fun one. Great find!! And you rocked it with that GIF, turned the whole thing into a real fireworks show for the post colonial nuts (let alone us woodchucks). I've found a nova and a handful of connies, but this combo in this condition really is up top material. How interesting!

Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find. I'm a big fan of unique coinage. Here's some info you may find interesting. I came across the info below when I was researching a Nova I found last thanksgiving. Apparently yours and others like it were "illegal" restrikes, but I'll just give you the info and let you decide.

Very unique, rare, and most certainly rarer than a typical Nova.

https://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Cons-Nova.intro.html ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492226521.029330.jpg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bump. Hopefully an expert who can attribute will see.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a 1788 Miller 10-C, they are usually found overstruck on Nova Constellatios. Yours has really nice detail but of course the corrosion hurts it. It is a rarity 5 variety I believe, which would be between 31-75 known. Before getting too excited about that though, rarity 5 is not uncommon in Connecticut varieties and doesn't carry a huge premium, Rarity 6 and higher is where the value starts to go up.

Last edited:

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
hey that's a pretty cool thing!

when something goes wrong at the mint.....fast forward to today...it goes very good for you!

I think they restamped those coins on purpose to save money when they changed the coin design. Ignore this if I'm wrong.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they restamped those coins on purpose to save money when they changed the coin design. Ignore this if I'm wrong.
You are absolutely correct!

OP
OP
V

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! A 1788 Miller 10-C. I'm always impressed by the expert knowledge available here on these forums. Is it worth sending the coin somewhere to be certified? Probably not, right? I just want to add it to my collection with all the other toasted coppers and bore my wife and kids with another coin story [emoji3]

Last edited:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on a very nice and interesting state copper. A great coin to add to your collection :thumbsup:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no reason to get it certified unless you want it in an expensive holder. Most colonial collectors don't like slabbed coins. Congratulations again on a nice Connecticut!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much! A 1788 Miller 10-C. I'm always impressed by the expert knowledge available here on these forums. Is it worth sending the coin somewhere to be certified? Probably not, right? I just want to add it to my collection with all the other toasted coppers and bore my wife and kids with another coin story [emoji3]

Ha,ha, How true your statement really is when sharing the passion of an unique find with the spouse or another person.
Congrats on the copper it's one of those treasured finds we get every once in a while that holds to this obsession.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a 1788 Miller 10-C, they are usually found overstruck on Nova Constellatios. Yours has really nice detail but of course the corrosion hurts it. It is a rarity 5 variety I believe, which would be between 31-75 known. Before getting too excited about that though, rarity 5 is not uncommon in Connecticut varieties and doesn't carry a huge premium, Rarity 6 and higher is where the value starts to go up.

Correct. As soon as I saw it I figured either 10-C or 12-C as they are usually struck over Nova's. Also right about the R-5 and R-6 values.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct. As soon as I saw it I figured either 10-C or 12-C as they are usually struck over Nova's. Also right about the R-5 and R-6 values.

The man I was hoping would see it! Very nice Don.

To the OP - outstanding find once again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread