Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple hours in a Colonial Cornfield - Luckenbooth brooch and silver cufflink!

This past Saturday was a warm sunny day, perfect digging weather. When you get these kinds of days in January you have to take advantage of them. I met up with a couple local diggers and we tried to locate an early site based off a 1792 map, but were not successful. Then we investigated a large depression that looked promising on aerial views, but turned out to be a natural feature rather than man made. So in order to save the day, John and Jim invited me to hunt a relatively new site they had found, which had given up a number of toasted coppers, dandy and tombac buttons, and other late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century relics. Even though they had hit the site fairly hard recently, and the field was a soggy mess with corn stubble, we all managed to find some relics.

Here is a group shot of our finds. My finds are in the middle.
1-22-17 All.jpg

My finds including the base of a crude black glass bottle and some other glass and pottery
Mine all.JPG

Another shot of my finds - keg spigot cap at the top, copper, dandy button, and flat button in second row, silver cufflink, part of a silver brooch and small tombac on the bottom row.
Mine.JPG

The broken silver brooch may be a Luckenbooth brooch with engraved initials "WM"
crown front.JPG
Crown back.JPG

Silver cufflink with what appears to be a bird and some flowers
Cufflink.JPG

Nice dandy button with design
Dandy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on having a successful field hunt. Those silver pieces are sweet finds as well as the buttons.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to salvage a day of hunting, Steve. Sometimes changing a plan is the better way to go..........
(You gonna go back for another piece of that broach?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread