A couple of firsts to start the new year

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in September my fiance's (Nancy) grandmother passed away at age 96. According to the family she'd been born on the property she lived at when she passed, I guess the family has been there for over 100 years. Ever since I started detecting last March (2015) Nancy had said I should try that property. To say the least 2015 was hectic for us, getting engaged, her grandmother's deteriorating health, my fathers open heart surgery, etc so we never got up there. Turns out the estate put the house up for sale and got a contract very quickly so Nancy had to go up to Durham from Charlotte to work with her folks on going through personal belongings. I jumped at the opportunity to go with her to get a couple of hours of detecting in Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. It was the best 2 days of detecting I've had in 9 months in the hobby.

I got my first real jewelry, a pendant marked "SS" with stones that look like diamonds. I'd be surprised if diamonds were mounted in sterling but will take it to a jeweler to learn more. I also scored my first gold ring, a nice signet ring. This may have belonged to Nancy's great-grandmother but we're not exactly sure about all of the initials as the script is clearly an older font. And last, but least to me was my first Indian Head penny, a sweet (at least to me) 1895...just joined the 1800's club!! day1 finds.jpg day2 finds.jpg ring in hole.jpg IHP-1895.jpg IHP-dirt plug.jpg pendant.jpg pendant2.jpg 43merc.jpg cleaned IHP.jpg signet ring.jpg

Upvote 8

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing hunt! Congrats on finding all that family history!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy smokes! Look at you go... a gold ring and entering the 1800s club! Very well played Kurt!

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds Kurt...I know you r thrilled,as I or anyone else would be.....and you know you are going to have to show them to soon. I will be back at work Friday...LOL...Barry

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Kurt. Due diligence paid off very well for you in the new year. Congratulations

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow you had a great hunt there and it sure would be cool if that signet ring did belong to your fiancee's great grandmother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread