A Couple of Interesting Ones

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I found both of these in the same creek a few years back maybe close to a mile apart as the creek flows. I’ve found a lot of points in that creek. These 2 stand out. Maybe someone will know the types. I’ve found Late Paleo all the way to Late Woodland out there if that helps. One is a chert probably Knox variant and the other I believe is Iron Stone which is a rare type of material not always used but does show record of being used in my area. The iron stone one could be a Ledbetter by the curved stem which is in the Pickwick cluster. It has a right hand bevel on only the right side. Other side is straight and no bevel. Looks like it was a multi purpose tool by the tip looking like a drill or perforator. Any ideas on these?
NW Georgia

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 14

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They both might be salvaged points, #2 really looks like one (no clue on type). The 1st kind of looks like a worn down Bolen but I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be talking out of my butt, i wonder if they aren’t the same type. They both look like they were used for the same purpose and sharpened the same way. The first maybe just used up more. The second does look it was on its way to a drill with that sort of high “notch” if that’s what you call it.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I doubt that they were made by the same person but it’s an interesting thought. They aren’t the same types imo

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
They both might be salvaged points, #2 really looks like one (no clue on type). The 1st kind of looks like a worn down Bolen but I'm probably wrong.
I think it was broken in half then repurposed to the knife form by the bevel on the 2nd one. 1st I was thinking a Clay but they aren’t found in my area that’s a S GA type. Probably a tool of sorts. The ear is crazy looking and the base ears would have been longer. Snapped from tumbling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread