Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have not seen where congress gave the citizens the right to claim and own relics on public land.
With that said I'm not sure of the actual legality detecting an old ghost town either.

I know some people get pretty upset when they see metal detectors on their claim.
If I saw someone detecting an old cabin on my claim, I'd feel kind of defensive but would know I have no right to say anything other than inform them they are on a mineral claim.

Last edited:

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I have not seen where congress gave the citizens the right to claim and own relics on public land.
With that said I'm not sure of the actual legality detecting an old ghost town either.

I know some people get pretty upset when they see metal detectors on their claim.
If I saw someone detecting an old cabin on my claim, I feel kind of defensive but would know I have no right to say anything other than inform them they are on a mineral claim.

Well I can tell you people get real angry when they find anyone on their "mineral " claim. They only have claim to the minerals. To dispute that out in the middle of nowhere can lead to unfavorable outcomes.
Imo.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you people get real angry when they find anyone on their "mineral " claim. They only have claim to the minerals. To dispute that out in the middle of nowhere can lead to unfavorable outcomes.
Imo.

Yup, some people can handle themselves better than others.
Gotta watch out for for that handful of loose cannons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread