Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A "Large" Year

90% of these finds come from one 400 acre property along the hudson river in upstate new york. I use a white's dfx, a white's silver eagle and a minelab se.

I found 36 large coppers this year. 34 are pictured here. i'm no expert on identification, but i will try to cover some of the high points. the first is a william III 1690's halfpenny. there are two george I "dump issue" halfpennies from the late 17teens, a cull hibernia/rosa americana-type copper, many george II counterfeit halfpennies, and one machin's mills counterfeit halfpenny from newburgh, ny, i believe. My oldest US copper of the year is a 1798 draped bust. There are several draped busts here, one classic bust from 1813, several coronet coppers, two hard-times tokens from 1837, and two braided hairs. The last coin pictured was found at a colonial site, but has no distinguishing markings except milled edges...

img077_1-1.jpg

img078.jpg

Here are some of the nicer silver coins from the year. There are two one reals, and three half reals. The trade dollar was in the middle of a large field, and i wouldn't have found it except that i was walking home with the dfx on and trailing on the ground. I thought it was going to be a lost tractor part...
The bust half-dime sounded terrible on the dfx, but there weren't many signals and every signal seemed to be an old coin at this one particular site. I dug an 1865 2 cent piece that isn't pictured here (gave it to a hunting buddy) and an 1866 shield nickel (pictured later) in the same hole at this site, and both sounded bad.
The darker disc between the seated half dime and the seated dime is a counterfeit 1842 seated dime that should never have been found. I was way out in the woods along a creek and under a modern tree-stand, and was digging nothing but shotgun shells. after five or six low-conductivity hits that proved to be casings, i got another hit that sounded a "little" different. Or maybe it didn't...
img080.jpg

img081.jpg

Here's some 2 centers, some nickels, my only flying eagle of the year, an 1857, a few "fatty" copper indians, a couple of nice bronze indians and two 1870's indians.
img082.jpg

img083.jpg

Here's a few relics from the year. the second row is all buttons from the war of 1812, found at one of my most productive sites, an old house site that has been ploughed for the last two hundred years, leaving no visual clues of it's existence. one day i stumbled upon an iron patch...
img084.jpg

Happy hunting, Dwayne

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: A "Large" Year

Man Dwayne....What can you say to something like that but WOW!!!!!!......Beautiful Dig's and Welcome to the Tnet :thumbsup:

S

seger98

I don't know what to say..... I am at a lost for words.......... What an amazing year! If I found even a third of that in a year I would have thought I had a awesome season. You've got to be flying high!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Chris

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

What an amazing year. Looks like you've got an incredible spot there in New York!

Good luck in 2009!

Jim

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's got to be one of the best years I have ever seen anybody have! :thumbsup: Congrats on such incredible finds! Keep up the great work I cant wait to see what you find next year. HH!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Fantastic!! You are so lucky to have such a great spot to hunt. Keep on digging! congrats

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer year, as in I'd kill for the Trade Dollar. Well maybe not kill, but seriously bad mouth someone. Kudos.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done mate.Cool finds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Its been lot of digging.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Outstanding!! Way too go, that's just beyond words. HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remarkable finds for '08. Love that fancy thimble. :thumbsup: Wishing you all the best with finds in '09. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

:wink: RR

P

Pentico

Man that is a great year of digs!
90% from on field? Wow keep swinging there next year too/
Congrats on a fantastic year..

DN

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

amazing you found so many coppers!

iamadigger

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Definately a "large" year!! Congratulations on all the finds! :thumbsup: I have to and need to find a place like that to hunt...

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, you pulled some great stuff! I love all that early stuff. I miss living in Upstate NY!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions