A pair of Kings

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was one of those days that I just wanted to take a day off from work. So I drove through 5 towns and picked up $1900 halves only found 1 64 and 9 40%ers. $1500 of CWR dimes and found 9 silvers. Also picked up 125 pieces of IKEs and found two 1972 Type 2, the king of Ikes. Last time I found one (my only one) was more than three years ago. They are in very good condition and after checking on Ebay I think I can sell them at $50 or more each. However, compared to waseeker's KING, these are like small kings of little tribes in the forest vs. King of an Empire.

WP_000609-2.jpg

WP_000610-2.jpg

WP_000611-2.jpg

Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok what makes these special? I have 8 1972 Ikes... what am I looking for?

Chukers

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
I'd like to extend congratulations, but can you post better pictures? Perhaps, it is the lighting, but I see islands below Florida.

There is no island there. Just a poor picture. I need battery for my digital camera.
Here is another one from my cellphone.
WP_000632.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
:icon_thumright: The second picture looks better. When your battery/camera is ready, please provide better pictures for the rest of the group as a learning experience.

Summary: Philly minted 3 types of Ikes in '72. The first type have the islands out in the Atlantic. Critics were vocal towards the poor geography demonstrated by the Mint's engravers. The Type 3 had the updated geography lesson corrected. In the mean-time, Philly couldn't halt the presses and had to continue to crank out Ikes. To bridge the gap until the new dies were ready, they utilized proof dies from San Fran. Difference being the lack of islands (amongst other indicators) below Florida. Because the Type 2 was a result of a limited time of temporary dies from San Fran, there is a very small fraction of the total mintage that qualifies. Hence, The King of Ikes.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All 8 of mine have islands.... :-\

Thanks for the education!

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
All 8 of mine have islands.... :-\

Thanks for the education!

You're welcome. Don't feel bad statistically the odd is less than 1 out of 759.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread