Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[h=2]lmost didn't get this permission-experience showed how.[/h]
I did some mapping a while back and met what I thought was the land owner at a local historical fun raising event in the winter. I rechecked the maps before setting out yesterday and I was a little off, and that put the site onto another property. I stopped at the farm and nobody was around, then I returned later on in the day and zilch. I was parked down the road trying to decide if I was going to hunt, where to go for a quick hit, when this tractor goes by, I looked in the mirror and it turned into farm.
One quick turn around I was on him like a fly on a fresh turd pile. I had met him once before a few yrs prior, and were chatting when the brother came out-"Alpha Male" We bring up to date on the conversation, and I asked him about the site on the field over?

" You from the historical society?" After a simple "No"
He went on to "I had one guy taking pictures on the property last week, kicked his ass off! I hate these tree huggers! A man should be able to do this or that on his own property!
No argument from me I'm thinking - I just want to dig in your dirt man.
He states there wasn't a homesite on the field, as he's plowed, turned, tilled, planted many times-nope I was mistaken.
Ok I need to throw some ace cards onto the table, to trump his claims.
I threw out some bigger permission names close to him, and told him of sites on the properties that showed nothing to indicate a homestead.
He did a 180 and said "well you can have a look" But please don't go into the tree line as there's garbage and it's unsafe"

I was off to the spot faster than a light beam.
I only had less than an hour to detect now so I hot spotted around dug photo'd the digs.
I went back to the farm dropped a little note thanking him for letting me detect his land, and there was a homesite on the hill of the field.
I left a couple of ratchet straps there as well.
Last night I got a call from this nicest sounding guy, first thanking me for the note, thanking me for finding the site, thanking me for the two gifts, and telling me that I have the right to hunt the site anytime I want in the future.

Enough ramblings here's the quick digs.

Counter holed coin #18

Grapes and wine pitcher pin

A nice button with shank

Huge Tombac button sadly broken, pewter spoon bowl, musket ball, toe tap, nose ring

Cool knife blade and some glass, and things picked up to show proof to the owner if needed be.
I've seen this steel looped item in the past-please tell me if anyone knows.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to win hearts and minds and great digs. Are you certain about that tombac? Looks really brown (i.e., pure copper or brass), could just be the dirt or photo color. If it cleans up to gray or gunmetal, bingo. Shank can also be a giveaway (raised or turret base). Just started learning more about them as I found some flat buttons of different compositions, including a pewter. Regardless, it is nice!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks vferrari

The one brown botton is just an unmarked flat button with the little school design along the edge. The one I meant was the half button with the shank sticking up.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get it pepper !! Nice work on the permission and nice work on the finds !! Congrats. One day ill get some time and get in the water !!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get it pepper !! Nice work on the permission and nice work on the finds !! Congrats. One day ill get some time and get in the water !!

Thanks Bart

Too bad we can't detect " Extra Time" in our busy lives. Went out and found a few extra hours today, a hoard of time unearthed today. :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vferrari

The one brown botton is just an unmarked flat button with the little school design along the edge. The one I meant was the half button with the shank sticking up.

Yep. I am blind, missed it. Clean break a dead giveaway since they are brittle plus shank and color. Doh! Nice saves.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep. I am blind, missed it. Clean break a dead giveaway since they are brittle plus shank and color. Doh! Nice saves.

I should of taken a better photo of it also. :)

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hauls ... little things like a thank you note goes a long way...way to go....................:thumbsup:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice hauls ... little things like a thank you note goes a long way...way to go....................:thumbsup:

Sometimes the littlest thing goes the furthest. Some permissions just like to be acknowledged that we don't take their lands for granted in going onto them when ever we like.
I always call, and yellow tape, spray paint, 5 gallon bucket or even pile rocks over grounding rods, long anchors from decommissioned power poles that could/would take a tractor tire out.
When a small tire can put a farmer out a few hundred a large tire can be a few thousand now a days, they smile and thank me for telling them.
There's nothing worse than a big old piece of grounding rod running up into the head of a combine that's worth 100's of thousands of dollars.
These little return acts of kindness is what the farmer really likes and takes the time to say thank you to me for the shared interest of their assets.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Pep!!! Some good lessons for everyone of us in the hobby. I bet your name got put out there by him at the local morning liar's table lol.., which will help with further permissions. Good digs always!!! CONGRATZ....

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Great job on the permission.
Way to hang in there.
very nice quick hunt

Your broken ring thing is the side plate of a horse bite.

Congrats at finding a great new site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread