A question about banks and boxes-

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know if when you order boxes ,,, are you getting boxes from the mint, or do banks send all their loose rolls to a master bank branch that re-roll them.

Aka--- if I get a box from one branch, Deposit them into my acct and another branch 10miles away of the same name-- am I getting back the same coins a week later? Or does everything go to the mint and put into a master roller??

Also-- have you found better coins at a Credit Union or a Bank of America or is there any typical-- "stay away from this banK".

I'm new to this and the skunks are frustrating

M--- Michigan

Upvote 0

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint does not provide rolled coin for consumers. They provide coins for banks through couriers -> brinks, Garda, Dunbar etc. dumping into your own stream has long been debated. Couriers are usually last in first out. So if you dump coin, chances are it goes through the hopper, gets boxed and voila put on top of the pallet.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint doesn't reroll coins, they just make them. Courier companies collect coin from banks that bag coins and rewrap them. When banks or stores need to order boxes of coins that's who the call. You ever seen a Loomis or Brinks truck? That's who they order from. Once new coins leave the mint they're done with them. If someone like Brinks doesn't have enough coins of a certain type to fill orders, they get extra from the Federal Reserve.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mint doesn't reroll coins, they just make them. Courier companies collect coin from banks that bag coins and rewrap them. When banks or stores need to order boxes of coins that's who the call. You ever seen a Loomis or Brinks truck? That's who they order from. Once new coins leave the mint they're done with them. If someone like Brinks doesn't have enough coins of a certain type to fill orders, they get extra from the Federal Reserve.

So--- am I searching the same coins from the same bank if they came from Bobs Bank and say BRINKS on them? Should I go to a different bank and buy Lomis boxes? To switch up the coins since I'm on a skunk streak and I don't want to get to 10boxes or worse

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look it's really difficult to 100% confirm if you're dumping into your supply. So many factors are at play.

Is it a busy area? If so guess what you'll never be able to confirm anything. If another hunter scaps up 10 boxes, you might not see your recently dumped coins as your bag was boxes 5 and 6 in that hunters order...

Does same bank type use different couriers? Absolutely possible. If I go 20 miles west, I'm in a different state that uses Loomis yet the same bank in my town uses Garda...

So many variables at play.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who you buy the boxes from won't necessarily keep you from getting skunks, especially if you're only getting a few each week. You have to assume there are other searchers in your area that are dumping into each supplier. The silver gets added when non searchers dump into the supply.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who you buy the boxes from won't necessarily keep you from getting skunks, especially if you're only getting a few each week. You have to assume there are other searchers in your area that are dumping into each supplier. The silver gets added when non searchers dump into the supply.

I guess that's why all of a sudden you get a great box--- that makes sense

I was hoping that Xmas would make for better boxes. I guess you don't really know how many hunters are in the same area.
The bank I went to the other day said they (the 2 tellers) have never had anyone ask for a full box of nickles or ordered a box of halves.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Try putting a "brand" (Sharpie mark) on the reverse of one coin in each roll you return and see if those come up again.

Remember when you used to get quarters with red reverses? The story I heard was people put those into slot machines to see how long it would take to get them back.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it used to be a common practice in bars. The owners would put the marked coins in the jukebox to play songs, hoping customers would do the same. When the vendors would come by to get out the coins the red ones were returned to the owner.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's why all of a sudden you get a great box--- that makes sense

I was hoping that Xmas would make for better boxes. I guess you don't really know how many hunters are in the same area.
The bank I went to the other day said they (the 2 tellers) have never had anyone ask for a full box of nickles or ordered a box of halves.

Christmas can make for better boxes.... But not usually until February or March

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now add in granny's sacks of coins stored in the attic since 1926, vending machines, laundromats, retailers, collections stolen by criminals, parking meters and on and on----the pool ain't just roll hunters. that hopper holds a lot more than a few boxes and the rolling depot covers a lot of banks.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for over a decade, and I rarely got my old coins back. Here is what I did, (not hunting boxes anymore.)

1. Purchase my boxes from a bank serviced by Brinks
2. Search coins
3. Reroll coins
4. "Sell" the coins back to a different bank that is serviced by a different armored car company.

sometimes I would even buy in one fed district and dump in another.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're doing 20+ boxes per week, don't worry much about dumping into your own supply. If no more "new" coins are getting into/leaving the system than your own dumps/orders, you probably weren't going to find much anyway. While technically it would be better not to, its likely nearly statistically irrelevant as you're dumping a tiny amount into a very large pile. My advice would be if you can easily get them out of your system, then do so. If its a hassle or a bit of expense, then don't worry about it.

In the few years that I was searching boxes weekly (2-4 boxes), I had to dump into my own supply. Loomis services every bank in town and every bank in nearby towns. Over the course of my searching I found many unique halves (stickered, painted, uniquely marked, holed etc) that I would easily recognize again. Never once did one of those make its way back to me.

Some areas, for whatever reason, just do not produce nearly as well as others. When I first started here, there was a very nice guy that was searching ~16 boxes twice a week or something like that. EVERY 16 box batch would typically contain over 100 silvers with several Bens and Walkers. That got me all excited and I started ordering boxes. 11 boxes in, I had found one lone 40%er. I occasionally found a decent box, but never anything remotely close to what he was finding. Typically, I would find 1 40%er per 2 boxes. Even cent boxes didn't produce here. Years ago, when copper prices were high almost everyone that was cent searching was finding 20%+ copper per box with 15+ wheaties. My all time best cent box had 8 wheats. Most had 3-4 and less than 12% copper. The point I'm longwindedly trying to make is that you may not be doing anything wrong. If you're fishing in a big lake with very few fish, you aren't going to catch many regardless of what you do or how you do it.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couriers are usually last in first out. So if you dump coin, chances are it goes through the hopper, gets boxed and voila put on top of the pallet.

I think this is a key concept many CRHers overlook. This applies to the main courier in my area. I also suspect the main courier in my area, which is a recently established local company, has newer coin rolling machines similar to coinstar in that their machines reject silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread