A silver and a load of pennies from the park, silvers from the schools and another batch of mini keys

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My week started out badly because it chose to rain for 3 days in a row and killed my chance to get back to one of the schools before the kids went back to class. When the weather cleared up a little I went out and got snowed on. In the winter I long for the spring and when it gets here it frustrates the heck out of me because the weather is so unpredictable.

DAY 1
I spent 4.5 hours working a section of the park nearest my home. I have covered most of it in the past and go back to redo the high traffic areas to clean up the new stuff and hope for something I might have missed in the past.

I found 55 coins with a a face value of $3.66, some charms, a screw in football cleat, another bunch of mini keys, can slaw and tabs. Not a lot of trash overall and the coins were well scattered and rather low in number for the large area I covered. The snow showers got pretty heavy at times and did lay for a short time, but the ground was warm and the air was above freezing so it didn’t last long.

DSCN3148.jpeg

DSCN3149.jpeg

DAY 2
I found a small park in the city to the east of us that I had never done before. It is a very small park with a narrow basketball court, a tot lot, picnic tables and a pavilion large enough for 1 table. There is very little extra space. It was snowing at home but just a light rain at the park.

I spent 5 hours covering about two thirds of the park. I found 287 coins with a face value of $12.54 (209 pennies), an earring, a copper jacket from a bullet, 3 rings, part of a brass hook clasp, a hat pin without the pin, some can slaw, a few aluminum bottle caps and tabs. Almost no deep targets and quite a few coins on the surface, just under the grass or in groups in the mulch of the tot lot so recoveries were fast and easy for the most part.

DSCN3150.jpeg

The park had very few iron signals so the swingin was easy on the ears. A guy came over and asked how I was doing. I told him just some modern coins nothing old and he said some other people had detected and they didn’t find anything old either. If they did detect, they must have ignored the penny signals (73% of the coins were pennies) or they just missed a WHOLE LOT. The earring is gold plated silver marked ITALY 925 and something else I can’t make out. The one ring came out stone first and looked good until I saw the band and I knew it wasn’t silver. I have to go back and finish the less productive areas and hope I get lucky.

DSCN3152.jpeg

DAY 3
The weekend arrived so I went to the elementary school. I have had decent luck there, not a lot of coins, but a nice variety of old stuff. You never know what will pop up, so you go and hope for the best. Sometimes you get lucky and today I did.

I sent 5 hours extending a grid on the lower field. There were some iron patches and some dead zones. All in all there were not a great number of desirable signals and most of those were foil and slaw with a few tabs in the mix. All together I found 22 coins with a face value of $0.98, 3 buttons, a cross, a ring, a hat pin and back, part of a monopoly game tab a bunch of starter pistol blanks, foil, can slaw and tabs.

DSCN3153.jpeg

The cross is silver and is marked 925 ITALY. It was a mid tone and when it popped out of the plug I thought it was stainless, but a quick look revealed the mark so I got my goodie for the day. Silver coins and rings will normally give a high tone response, but small thin rings, fine chains and thin silver will give a mid tone response. The plated earring from day 2 was also a mid tone. Those mid tones can be lots of trash, but if you don’t dig them you are leaving goodies behind for someone else. Besides digging all that junk out of the ground helps clean up the earth.

DSCN3155.jpeg

2 of the buttons are civilian and are not very old. The third one is a military great seal button. They started using these in 1902. This one had a ferrous back that is rusted away so my guess would be that this one is a newer one. All the older ones I have found have a brass back.

DSCN3154.jpeg

DAY 4
So back to the middle school that produced all the silver last week. Will I be lucky 3 days in a row?

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 121 coins with a face value of $6.15 (another heavy penny day with 80 pennies), a heavy necklace (fake gold), 2 wheaties, another necklace, an owl pendant, a cheapie tongue and wreath buckle, a ring, a number 34 tag, 3 screw in cleats, 2 modern buttons, part of a game tab, an ADDIDAS metal tag, 2 whole aluminum cans, a bunch of can slaw, a few tabs, some copper wire and a pile of pencil ends.

DSCN3157.jpeg

Well I got my 3 silver days in a row with the IRELAND necklace. It was another mid tone and it was just under the grass so it was lost relatively recently. It is marked 925 on the tag nd on the clasp. It is gold colored and at first look I was sure I had some gold, but fooled again. The other necklace has a tag that looks like it says 24k, but it definitely in not gold at all. Just plated junk so a fake

DSCN3158.jpeg

DSCN3159.jpeg

DSCN3160.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I managed to find a few coins while walking, some more in a coin star and a nice batch in the coin returns at the self checkout. The 1942 wheatie I got in change at the store. Nothing special, but it all adds up and you just need to keep your eyes open because the next find might be a great one.

DSCN3156.jpeg

Another good week, thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 21

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnt -hunter. Nice post
Your determination to continue rewards you.
I like your method of describing your hunt’s

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My week started out badly because it chose to rain for 3 days in a row and killed my chance to get back to one of the schools before the kids went back to class. When the weather cleared up a little I went out and got snowed on. In the winter I long for the spring and when it gets here it frustrates the heck out of me because the weather is so unpredictable.

DAY 1
I spent 4.5 hours working a section of the park nearest my home. I have covered most of it in the past and go back to redo the high traffic areas to clean up the new stuff and hope for something I might have missed in the past.

I found 55 coins with a a face value of $3.66, some charms, a screw in football cleat, another bunch of mini keys, can slaw and tabs. Not a lot of trash overall and the coins were well scattered and rather low in number for the large area I covered. The snow showers got pretty heavy at times and did lay for a short time, but the ground was warm and the air was above freezing so it didn’t last long.

View attachment 2142342

View attachment 2142343

DAY 2
I found a small park in the city to the east of us that I had never done before. It is a very small park with a narrow basketball court, a tot lot, picnic tables and a pavilion large enough for 1 table. There is very little extra space. It was snowing at home but just a light rain at the park.

I spent 5 hours covering about two thirds of the park. I found 287 coins with a face value of $12.54 (209 pennies), an earring, a copper jacket from a bullet, 3 rings, part of a brass hook clasp, a hat pin without the pin, some can slaw, a few aluminum bottle caps and tabs. Almost no deep targets and quite a few coins on the surface, just under the grass or in groups in the mulch of the tot lot so recoveries were fast and easy for the most part.

View attachment 2142344

The park had very few iron signals so the swingin was easy on the ears. A guy came over and asked how I was doing. I told him just some modern coins nothing old and he said some other people had detected and they didn’t find anything old either. If they did detect, they must have ignored the penny signals (73% of the coins were pennies) or they just missed a WHOLE LOT. The earring is gold plated silver marked ITALY 925 and something else I can’t make out. The one ring came out stone first and looked good until I saw the band and I knew it wasn’t silver. I have to go back and finish the less productive areas and hope I get lucky.

View attachment 2142341

DAY 3
The weekend arrived so I went to the elementary school. I have had decent luck there, not a lot of coins, but a nice variety of old stuff. You never know what will pop up, so you go and hope for the best. Sometimes you get lucky and today I did.

I sent 5 hours extending a grid on the lower field. There were some iron patches and some dead zones. All in all there were not a great number of desirable signals and most of those were foil and slaw with a few tabs in the mix. All together I found 22 coins with a face value of $0.98, 3 buttons, a cross, a ring, a hat pin and back, part of a monopoly game tab a bunch of starter pistol blanks, foil, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2142345

The cross is silver and is marked 925 ITALY. It was a mid tone and when it popped out of the plug I thought it was stainless, but a quick look revealed the mark so I got my goodie for the day. Silver coins and rings will normally give a high tone response, but small thin rings, fine chains and thin silver will give a mid tone response. The plated earring from day 2 was also a mid tone. Those mid tones can be lots of trash, but if you don’t dig them you are leaving goodies behind for someone else. Besides digging all that junk out of the ground helps clean up the earth.

View attachment 2142347

2 of the buttons are civilian and are not very old. The third one is a military great seal button. They started using these in 1902. This one had a ferrous back that is rusted away so my guess would be that this one is a newer one. All the older ones I have found have a brass back.

View attachment 2142346

DAY 4
So back to the middle school that produced all the silver last week. Will I be lucky 3 days in a row?

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 121 coins with a face value of $6.15 (another heavy penny day with 80 pennies), a heavy necklace (fake gold), 2 wheaties, another necklace, an owl pendant, a cheapie tongue and wreath buckle, a ring, a number 34 tag, 3 screw in cleats, 2 modern buttons, part of a game tab, an ADDIDAS metal tag, 2 whole aluminum cans, a bunch of can slaw, a few tabs, some copper wire and a pile of pencil ends.

View attachment 2142349

Well I got my 3 silver days in a row with the IRELAND necklace. It was another mid tone and it was just under the grass so it was lost relatively recently. It is marked 925 on the tag nd on the clasp. It is gold colored and at first look I was sure I had some gold, but fooled again. The other necklace has a tag that looks like it says 24k, but it definitely in not gold at all. Just plated junk so a fake

View attachment 2142350

View attachment 2142351

View attachment 2142352

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I managed to find a few coins while walking, some more in a coin star and a nice batch in the coin returns at the self checkout. The 1942 wheatie I got in change at the store. Nothing special, but it all adds up and you just need to keep your eyes open because the next find might be a great one.

View attachment 2142353

Another good week, thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

Marino13

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAY 1

View attachment 2142342

View attachment 2142343

DAY 2

View attachment 2142344

View attachment 2142341

DAY 3

View attachment 2142345

View attachment 2142347

View attachment 2142346

DAY 4

View attachment 2142349

View attachment 2142350

View attachment 2142351

View attachment 2142352

NON DETECTOR FINDS

View attachment 2142353

Nice job. I love that cross.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread