Absolutely gorgeous British Rev War "Tudor Rose" Lieutenant button dug today!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely gorgeous British Rev War "Tudor Rose" Lieutenant button dug today!!!

It was just in 2012 that I dug my first regimental British button after 30 years of digging. Well today I can say I have now dug two! I have always wanted to dig one of these buttons. This is a British "Tudor Rose" button, copper planchet with stand up shank with almost all of its gold gilt. The intricacy of the design of the tudor rose in just amazing! You can see this tudor rose clear across the room!!! It is just gleeming with gold gilt. You literally need to put your sunglasses on! LOL This button was used by the British to signify the rank of Lieutenant from 1748 to 1787. Undoubtedly this button was lost by a British Soldier here in 1781. I found this button in less than 1 inch of sandy soil today! It was my only good target of the day. But man oh man what a target!!! The buttons face retains approximately 50 percent of the gold gilt but the back has 100 percent! Even the stand up shank on the reverse has gold plating on it. It most closely resembles BNL.b. in Don Troini's Insignia of Independence on page 20 but doesn't have a bone back. It is a big button measuring 28mm, much bigger than my MacDonald's 76th regiment button. I love finding relics directly associated with the battle of Yorktown . Today I can finally cross another British relic off my bucket list!

Attachments

• 005 - Copy.JPG
    005 - Copy.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 020 - Copy (2).JPG
    020 - Copy (2).JPG
    133 KB · Views: 156
  • 022 - Copy.JPG
    022 - Copy.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 027 - Copy.JPG
    027 - Copy.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 20

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Rev Button!! Congrats. Hogge

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button there. And my Lord is that a fully gilded 76th????!!! Goodness, what fantastic finds!

BRAVO.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got informed this button was worn by a Lieutenant from the British Royal Nayy! I should have realized this though since all the British troops arrived here by boat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread