cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On most machines, that button can be used in a couple of ways. You can program it to just accept a number or group of numbers, or to reject that number so it won't register on your display or give you a tone. Say someone lost an earring and you want to find it. You have the other one for a sample. You scan it and accept the reading. Then you can ignore everything else and just look for a target that matches that reading. The reject setting it helpful when you have an area with a ton of the same junk target, or, you're getting false readings in a given area that is driving you crazy. You reject that number and your machine will ignore all targets with that reading.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THanks for the help cuda

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lets say you are out detecting and keep digging up pennies...as if someone threw them everywhere and you need to ignore them to get through the area...you would be able to modify your pattern on the fly so that you could ignore them just for that section of beach.

You can also use it when creating patterns on your machine.

I have yet to use the button while detecting. Personally if I want to ignore something I want to hear it and then choose to ignore it or not so my current pattern is to accept everything.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks adambomb. It is starting to make sense.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets say you are out detecting and keep digging up pennies...as if someone threw them everywhere and you need to ignore them to get through the area...you would be able to modify your pattern on the fly so that you could ignore them just for that section of beach.

You can also use it when creating patterns on your machine.

I have yet to use the button while detecting. Personally if I want to ignore something I want to hear it and then choose to ignore it or not so my current pattern is to accept everything.

Funny you say that, when at myrtle I was talking with the front desk person. They told me there was a couple that would come down twice a year. They would save pennys then go out at night and throw them all over the beach in front of the hotel. The next morning they would come down for breakfast and fill a jug with coffee. Return back to their room and sit on the balcony drinking coffee watching the MD'er go crazy detecting pennys!

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just wrong. I have hit sections where people seem to have done that. Now we know

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Funny you say that, when at myrtle I was talking with the front desk person. They told me there was a couple that would come down twice a year. They would save pennys then go out at night and throw them all over the beach in front of the hotel. The next morning they would come down for breakfast and fill a jug with coffee. Return back to their room and sit on the balcony drinking coffee watching the MD'er go crazy detecting pennys!

Glad the CTX can ignore them:) Seriously though if I knew that couple I would definitely tell them to stop littering on the beach...its already disgusting enough as it is...especially at myrtle

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the ability to give more stable ID the CTX allows for tighter discrimination patterns for sure. Having said that I think most of us know that tight disc patterns can lead to some missed opportunities you'll never know about till you or someone else digs them up later. But for the purpose at hand it may be very useful. The "double-triple" beep is obviously a good indication you have something really shallow anyway so no fear in losing a good find because of too much disc....unless you have Indians sitting near the surface!
Seriously,good luck,the CTX is a great machine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Living near the Central Florida beaches, I would be very hesitant to reject anything if you're beach hunting. Saltwater does strange things to many metals and as was mentioned, saltwater corrosion can make those numbers vary considerably. You may end up rejecting some very nice targets as a result. ��

I never reject any numbers with that button when beach hunting but as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole!

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here you have to eliminate a lot of the 01's and 02's or you'll go crazy with the false signals.

WestGhost

Mar 7, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
ace 250, AT Pro, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point cudamark, 99.9% of the time 01's and 02's are some kind of foil. On the beach I always dig pennies. Depending how corroded they are, they can pop up just about anywhere on the screen. Don't want to miss out on any golden opportunities.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On most machines, that button can be used in a couple of ways. You can program it to just accept a number or group of numbers, or to reject that number so it won't register on your display or give you a tone. Say someone lost an earring and you want to find it. You have the other one for a sample. You scan it and accept the reading. Then you can ignore everything else and just look for a target that matches that reading. The reject setting it helpful when you have an area with a ton of the same junk target, or, you're getting false readings in a given area that is driving you crazy. You reject that number and your machine will ignore all targets with that reading.

Good post here but keep in mind discrimination is the devil! lol

A few big rings and other goodies can hit in the zinc penny range FYI...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, but, sometimes necessary. I only disc out the false signals. Otherwise I use a wide open screen at the beach. In parks and similar type search areas, it will depend on the level and type of trash.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I certainly would NOT condone doing this but you could always give the pennies back using this method.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread