ACE 250 coil advice

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking at possibly getting a DD coil for my ACE 250. Had a few questions.. 1. Which DD coil is best to put on the ACE? 2. Is it worth spending the $$ on a DD coil or saving the money for a different detector down the road? I am hoping that a new coil will give me more accurate depth readings, as well as better discrimination of items. Sometimes I get some pretty crazy readings and I believe it to possibly be the soil conditions of SW Indiana soil.

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
str8flexed,
I can't tell you what is best for you and your situation. That being said I use the 4 inch sniper and the 5x8 DD. I chose those because of the places I hunt are target heavy, lots of trash. They help in isolating targets, making it easier to get a solid id. It is still all guess work so dig it all.
GLHH, Mike

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the Exxcellor (sp?) brand DD coil?

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Bikermike I'm trying to decide between those two coils. Which of those two do you think does the best in trashy areas. I'm not worried about getting right up against a metal pole because I know that's the snipers domain but which one does the best separation in trash filled areas.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Str8flex. Yes the 10x14 Excelerator is a dd. Seems like that, the sef butterfly, 13 inch ultimate, and NEL coils are the bug names. The NEL tornado has gotten awesome reviews. I have a NEL storm (1x1 larger then the tornado) due in the mail Thursday. I can let you know how it does if your interested. Pm me on Thursday to remind me if I don't post back.

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
str8flexed,
I only have the Garrett coils.

fireguy,
That is a tough call. The 4 inch covers such a small area, but has a cone pattern. The 5x8 has more of a flattened pattern so it covers more area fore/aft and less side to side. I got tired of spending forever covering an area so I use the 5x8 to cover more ground. I hope this helps.
Mike

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread