Actual Hours Put On A New Metal Detector?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How exactly is that calculated? I read users saying they have a hundred or even a thousand hours on a fairly recent machine. There is no odometer in hours on these things. Are people using a days 24 hour clock on every hunt, then times the hunts they estimate that they get in the field?
It's simple,some keep log books.
Some hunt X amount of days X months X years.
Added up and then they state what they figure.
Some BS, some don't.
The main thing is to learn your own machine, and remember that some change their machines as if it's aseasonal thing.
Some are still using an old reliable friend.
Though question is very valid, but there comes a time when we just get our to forget the world.
It's not a race by any means.
Now start clocking those hours.🙂

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It's simple,some keep log books.
Some hunt X amount of days X months X years.
Added up and then they state what they figure.
Some BS, some don't.
The main thing is to learn your own machine, and remember that some change their machines as if it's aseasonal thing.
Some are still using an old reliable friend.
Though question is very valid, but there comes a time when we just get our to forget the world.
It's not a race by any means.
Now start clocking those hours.🙂
Do you keep records?

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you keep records?
I do!
I keep track of good finds like gold and silver and where it was found, how long I hunted, etc. It gives me a quick reference to see what places produced best, and which places didn't.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I do!
I keep track of good finds like gold and silver and where it was found, how long I hunted, etc. It gives me a quick reference to see what places produced best, and which places didn't.
Do you keep records of the times in dry hunts? Folks saying a hundred or a thousand hours, on a machine just out for say two years? I just think that without a clock or "odometer" on a metal detector, people lose common sense of time.

I feel 8 hours older after a 4 hour trip out plus the rest breaks and food eating. That time can't be rolled into the formula of total hours.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you keep records?
Me?🤣
Absolutely not.
Tried, a few times. Then it got to the point if I forgot I felt irresponsible.
Felt like I was punching a frigging time clock, like some serf.
Nope I'm not wrecking my pure enjoyment just to keep a hour meter.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you keep records of the times in dry hunts? Folks saying a hundred or a thousand hours, on a machine just out for say two years? I just think that without a clock or "odometer" on a metal detector, people lose common sense of time.

I feel 8 hours older after a 4 hour trip out plus the rest breaks and food eating. That time can't be rolled into the formula of total hours.
The only time I could account for hours detecting was on one of tours to England.
10-14 days, so many hours per day. It was maximizing the detecting time out in the fields.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really can't see that it matters at all.
And as far as 'it felt like I was out there for 8 hours but it was actually 4' serves my purpose in giving me a sense of a spot being hot or cold with a quick look at my log.
I do the same thing for arrowhead hunting, gives me a quick way to see when places tend to produce the best.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I really can't see that it matters at all.
And as far as 'it felt like I was out there for 8 hours but it was actually 4' serves my purpose in giving me a sense of a spot being hot or cold with a quick look at my log.
I do the same thing for arrowhead hunting, gives me a quick way to see when places tend to produce the best.
"I really can't see that it matters at all."

It matters when someone asked about the integrity of a new machine being newly released. Yes or no?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I really can't see that it matters at all."

It matters when someone asked about the integrity of a new machine being newly released. Yes or no?
Do you actually believe the testers?
They might have had the machine for 6 months testing it out in the field.
Not saying anything to anyone.
Then there's the one's that get prerelease machines.
But one the average most just put the time in.
Where it might make a difference is location.
Southern folks can do just about 365, northern folks are just starting to get the machines out.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Do you actually believe the testers?
They might have had the machine for 6 months testing it out in the field.
Not saying anything to anyone.
Then there's the one's that get prerelease machines.
But one the average most just put the time in.
Where it might make a difference is location.
Southern folks can do just about 365, northern folks are just starting to get the machines out.
When anyone says "I tested it for a hundred or a thousand hours" after a release of a new machine...gotta ask how they did the numbers.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I tested coils for some guys on the west coast. It was never about time. It was about how they felt on the shaft, wet soil, dry soil, farm field and beach, coin gardens and appearance. Some were great some were flops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions