Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at getting my first Tesoro, a Vaquero, and I understand the Tesoro's are basically a single tone machine that you learn to interpret, etc. I'm not looking to start another thread about that, there are already plenty of threads on that topic I can read through.

What I do have a question about is this...on another forum thread about the Vaquero, someone mentioned the factory could add a high tone for about 20 bucks that would help with target ID. Here's the exact quote -

The target response time of the coil is great They call it HOT "High Output Technology". You might want to add a High Tone to it as the factory will do it for $15--just a little more target alerting tone.

What exactly are they talking about?

Thanks.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i think that means the single tone is higher in volume or pitch. i got the vaquero back in april. it is hard to explain but, you can tell the way the tone sounds to different things. i suggest getting the Ebook "mastering the tesoro tejon and vaquero metal detectors. you can download the kindle app for it on your computer for free if you dont have a kindle. the book is 9.99. a lot of good stuff in it.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have one, supposedly helps if you have a little hearing loss, but I got mine just because I thought I would enjoy it more.
I don't see or hear a huge difference on most targets using 2 units, a Compadre and my vaq with a lower tone and the high tone, there are many ways, techniques and methods I use to make fairly accurate guesses no matter which unit I am swinging.
I really have to get that book one day and read it.

Turns out after I got a Compadre I found I like the low tones better, but even though Tesoro says they will change it back for $15 I decided not to for one good reason.
When I swing over aluminum, especially the big stuff but even lots of the smaller types, there is a component in that tone that for me is totally obnoxious and makes me cringe and grit my back teeth when using that high tone unit.
I realized this was happening after I got the Compadre, now I can tell every time I swing over garbage like this...every time.
Good targets of any kind never affect me this way, neither does other types of trash, but decent sized aluminum sure does and I run into a lot of that in some of my trashy parks.
I cringe and grit my teeth...aluminum every time and I dug a ton testing this.
A good feature to have as far as I am concerned so I put up with it when I use the Vaq.

Here is a vid I made of the tone on my Vaq and my Compadre to compare.
The Vaq low tone is not quite the same as the Compadre, but it is close and it is lower.
The vid below this one you can hear the actual low tone.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dT0-TRpqaBM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Qa1sTRoJDKc

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i think that means the single tone is higher in volume or pitch. i got the vaquero back in april. it is hard to explain but, you can tell the way the tone sounds to different things. i suggest getting the Ebook "mastering the tesoro tejon and vaquero metal detectors. You can download the kindle app for it on your computer for free if you dont have a kindle. the book is 9.99. a lot of good stuff in it.

I picked up(downloaded) the book last night and I'm about half way through it. I'll probably finish it today. Great book. I like the authors writing style, gives plenty of good info and pointers without getting TOO technical.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To some extent it's personal preference. I have a Vaq that I bought used with the lower tone. My other Tesoros have higher pitched tones than that and I much prefer it so I had the Vaq modified to the high tone option. If I had my way, It would be higher yet, matching the older Bandito II and Silver Sabre µmax machines that I've use for years, but that's just me.
luvsdux

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tejon has an adjustable tone. I find myself setting the tone lower. I personally like the lower tone. Everyone has their own preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread