Adding power capability to my Keene A52

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering a header box for my Keene A52. The idea of not having to limit my dig sites to places where there is sufficient water flow is appealing. I had a few questions:

1.) Anyone have experience with the following? There are several brands advertising header boxes for the 10" sluice: Jobe, Gold Buddy, Martin, RDH, etc.

2.) What gph pump is required for sufficient (fast) water flow? 12V or gas powered pump? I use a trommel with a light spray bar system for 1/2" classification before I would run through the box.

I have two 1500GPH electric pumps and I was toying with the idea of plumbing them into one via a Y connector. SHURFLO® 1500 Bilge Pump 12 VDC 1500 GPH | SHURFLO® 1500-2000 GPH Bilge Pumps. Of course, at 8amps each/16 amps combined, would I require monster batteries to use all day?

3.) If the cost of the required deep cycle battery(s) is high, I would lean toward a gas pump at about $300 or so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Matt

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post but I'm not looking to build a high banker, just a power sluice. I already have a good Trommel.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it comes down to terminology but for most folks power sluice and highbanker is interchangeable.. especially when you opened with you have an A 52 and I used a knock off A 52.

Bets of luck with your project

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not building a dredge box then you don't need a header box because that's for a dredge. you need a " highbanker hopper" like this
> SYuba exclusive products

South Yuba Mining 2.jpg South Yuba Mining.jpg

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on my power sluice I use a 1500gph pump but it would not work with any rock going through it
I use it for cleanups and screen everything with a kitchen strainer.
generally what I've heard that a 10" needs at least 2200gph but still works best if classified to at least 3/8"
DSC01736.jpg . DSC01745.jpg
could use 1x2 wood slats to narrow it down to work better with less water

Last edited:

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a header box (not talking highbanker hopper although I have that as well) for my Jobe 45 that I run a 1.5" hose to a 2100 GPH (2100 or 2200, can't remember atm) 12v water pump and it runs really well, I can scoop in classified material at a decent rate and if I need to, I can recirculate with it at sites that have little water. And it's nice and quiet!

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
matt_unique - Check out the trommel section. Or, even better, look up AzVipers gold trommel post. I don't think you need a header box for your a52 if you already have your trommel plumbed for water.

Take a piece of wood, or better yet, some HDPE, and use it as a backstop for the back of the sluice. Set the sluice up under the classification area, and presto, material and water fall into sluice, cant go out the back with the HDPE backstop, so down the sluice it goes! If using the flare.. You can still use the same concept, just cut an angle into the HDPE to fit.

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
My trommel is plumbed for water though currently with a small DC pump to wash the rocks (not nearly sufficient pressure to power a 10' sluice). Interesting idea to revamp this with a higher capacity pump, and perhaps larger water holes in my spray bars to wash rocks and power the sluice....

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, heres a little trommel i built..

I feel a pond pump, because of the plumbing on a trommel(height), definitely wont cut it because it has to push the water all they way and up. I run my 2" harbor freight pump JUST over idle when using my trommel and I have a 10" wide sluice as well. I have 2" pipe through out, with i believe 1/4" holes in my spray bar

edit - a Johnson 2000+gph pump should work just fine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread