Advice on larger coils for E-trac

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking about getting a larger coil to help me cover more ground on the large, fresh water beaches.... in the dry sand.

Of course I also hope to gain a little depth too.

I have a sling set up so the additional weight should be manageable.

Any suggestions as to a specific coil that would be best?

I lean towards NEL only because I have already a Snake and Sharpshooter for my AT Pro and really like those two, but I am open to any brand.

Thanks

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if you take a machine that supposedly stinks at finding small gold and add a larger coil that it would then REALLY stink at finding small gold. That being said,if you're looking for anything BUT small gold,something like the 18x15 SEF is about as big as it gets. Or do they make a 21".....

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if you take a machine that supposedly stinks at finding small gold and add a larger coil that it would then REALLY stink at finding small gold. That being said,if you're looking for anything BUT small gold,something like the 18x15 SEF is about as big as it gets. Or do they make a 21".....

At these particular beaches, my goal is old coins,.... of course I wouldn't throw back any gold ....... :)

Not necessarily looking for the biggest possible cool.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both the 15" Coiltek WOT and the NEL 15" Attack. I prefer the NEL. It is slightly bigger, even though they both claim to be 15", it's more stable, and it pin points better. Being cheaper doesn't hurt any either! :thumbsup: Both these coils have very good sensitivity to small targets also. I've dug jean rivets at 8" with both. Gold stud earrings? Nope, not likely you'll detect those......but, smaller coils and other machines most times won't either. I have dug tiny (think wire toe ring) gold targets with both also. If you need to find stud earrings and tiny link gold chains, use a Gold Bug or other nugget machines designed for those tiny items.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'll stick with the 15" Coiltek. I've got an 18" SEF, and the Coiltek works at least as well if not better.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two WOTs fail. That's why I went with the NEL Attack instead. Turns out, I like it better for the reasons I stated. I haven't used the SEF ones, so, I can't comment on how they compare.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Coiltek 15"WOT for my Safari, have found so much with it now it's my main coil. It will separate well once you learn to use it.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i went with a NEL Attack. Should have it by the weekend and hopefully will be able to report back with first impressions sometime next week.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Attack arrived early and I had a little time to try it out this AM.

First swing in the dry sand and I scooped a silver rosie ..woo hoo..1 scoop deep. But I would say my stock coil would of found it too, IF it was swung over it. ... this coil covers a lot of ground.

My next good targets were DEEP wheaties. They didn't read as wheaties at first but they were repeatable and deep on the meter. I then tried a area where the weeds run into the beach and got a deep buffalo nickel. It was so deep it didn't read like my normal ones do, 12-13, it was jumping around those numbers. I was hoping for a gold ring on that dig.

Next I dug the deepest coin ever. I would of bet it was at least a silver dime and there was a good chance maybe big silver. After 3-4 scoops there it was, a nice big shiny quarter.....a stinken 1995 quarter!!! How it got that deep and stayed so clean is a mystery.

Then I tried it in the iron infested surf area and to my surprise it handled it quite well. I got the 2 old jewelry pieces there along with a couple more wheaties.

It pin pointed dead center. I am planing to give it another longer test on Sunday.

Below is a picture of the treasures.

today.jpg

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking about getting a larger coil to help me cover more ground on the large, fresh water beaches.... in the dry sand.

Of course I also hope to gain a little depth too.

I have a sling set up so the additional weight should be manageable.

Any suggestions as to a specific coil that would be best?

I lean towards NEL only because I have already a Snake and Sharpshooter for my AT Pro and really like those two, but I am open to any brand.

Thanks

Coiltek has THE best coils out for the Minelabs. Deepest, more sensitivity and great quality. They are the only ones allowed to speak at our Minelab conventions every year. Minelab works closely with them as you will notice they are the only company with ability to make a CTX 3030 aftermarket coils.

Coiltek 15" E-Trac Coil | BigBoysHobbies

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek has THE best coils out for the Minelabs. Deepest, more sensitivity and great quality.

That
That hasn't been my experience. I find the NEL Attack coil to be superior in all respects over the Coiltek WOT.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I bought a Nel sharpshooter for my etrac. It was a bear snaking the cable up the shaft. Even after tying a string to the end of the cable and pulling it up that way, it would barely fit. It performed well but the cable is a little large for the shafts. That's the only knock I have on the Nel.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions