AGE OF THE EARTH...

O

Old Silver

Re: If I've been reading this right...

BigDan said:
...the point is something like, guns don't kill, people don't kill, scientists kill? But then, scientific research which has provided medicines...etc., etc., doesn't heal...meaning only God heals.

So, God heals, science kills?

It would make a great bumper sticker, or t' shirt. But as a logical argument, imho, it doesn't work.

You can tell him he was wrong when you stand before him. As for me, I've seen him heal people.

B

BigDan

Re: If I've been reading this right...

Old Silver said:
BigDan said:
...the point is something like, guns don't kill, people don't kill, scientists kill? But then, scientific research which has provided medicines...etc., etc., doesn't heal...meaning only God heals.

So, God heals, science kills?

It would make a great bumper sticker, or t' shirt. But as a logical argument, imho, it doesn't work.

You can tell him he was wrong when you stand before him. As for me, I've seen him heal people.

Whose "Him"? I guess I'm still confused. Are you saying God is posting on here? I wish someone would have told me...I'd have kept my mouth shut. I thought it was just a bunch of people like me. Dang, so I gotta drop all my faith in God from all my life and start listening to God on the internet? So I suppose now my personal conversations with God have to be emails? I've seen God work some major stuff myself. Both good and bad. Or are volcanos and earthquakes and floods not in his realm anymore? Oh, right, science. God good, science bad, heard it from God on the internet.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I have never seen God do a single thing. Ever. I've heard many claims and seen the faithful speak in brilliant ways of His infinite mercy as their loved ones pull through after an accident or illness even as millions of others do not. I have seen something else though. I have seen His devout followers arm themselves with instruments of death and go forth in good cheer as they kill for Him. I have laid hands on the dead that result from this paradox. I have read a mothers words as she curses me for shooting her son who was a good boy and a Christian even though he was killed as he shot at me during a drug fueled robbery after he crept into my apartment as I slept. That went on literally for years as she reminded me that Jesus was holding her baby as He was waiting to cast me into Hell. I have never witnessed a miracle nor have I seen anything that could be attributed as such. I have read of these things however, I have also read the Odyssey so...

I did watch my Grandfather wither away from cancer to the point that he took his own life. I witnessed my Grandmother pass out from grief at my fathers funeral, he was 28 and loved by many people. I listened as mourners told this pitiful woman on both occasions that God took her soulmate and son for a reason and only He knew why...that was supposed to comfort her. She never returned to church and I know why.
I can honestly look at a sunset and think how wonderful it looks without imagining a God painting it...I know that is because the angles the suns rays that are hitting the Earths atmosphere are creating multiple colors and the sun isn't really setting but rather the Earth is revolving around it. It took religious people hundreds of years to accept even that simple principle, yet the science was there. Galileo was nearly murdered for it. Hundreds of others were.

Having faith is a wonderful thing and I applaud any and all who find comfort in their beliefs and if it makes their lives even slightly better than good for them. I encourage all people to read the Bible too. The Koran as well. Both contain reams of good things as well as bad, they are both truly GOOD books. One must take these books at face value given their age and the state of the world when they were written and make their own judgments based on reality and the world around them as it exists NOW. I find it incredibly difficult to follow any God. I feel that I do not require such things to lead my life. That isn't to say it's the same with all people.
Nothing works like prayer.

Therefore I respectfully disagree with the premise that the planet earth-Terra and it's satellite moon-Luna, orbiting it's sun-Sol, in the Milky Way galaxy...is anything short of multiple billions of years old.

Thanks. That is my opinion on this topic and why I have drawn that conclusion.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL,

I'm really sorry for some of the things that have happened in your life. But, someday, watch a baby being born, and know that nothing - absolutely nothing, that science (man) can do can create that miracle. No man can put their finger on the "essence" of life. A human is not only a body - something makes that person what they are - who they are. And we cannot duplicate it.

However, that fact - either way - is not mutually exclusive of how old the earth is. I believe that the earth is billions of years old - I do not see how one eliminates the other.

B

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I have witnessed three birth live and in person.
I just find faith in something other than religion, no big deal. To me the Earth is very obviously billions of years old, that's all. I honestly mean no offense or condescension.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have seen "the miracle of birth" It did not cause me to believe in an all mighty being...I have more faith in Science than in superstition, but I do not begrudge others for their beliefs....To each his own...Comfort is where you find it...Tom

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Exactly Tom.
I have seen pompous Atheists who rival Kirk Cameron for pushy offensiveness and arrogance.
I am not one of these people.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
The one time I watched the "miracle of birth", the baby wouldn't come out. It got stuck in the birth canal, and about 20 minutes into it the doctor started to panic. He instructed the head nurse to give the mother an episiotomy, which is where they take a pair of blunt tipped scissors and stick one blade in the anus and the other blade in the vagina and cut clean through the "taint" to make the path larger.

My knees started shaking when I saw that, and I dang near passed out. Finally a few minutes later the little fellow popped out, but he was so blue and compressed from being trapped in the birth canal that he looked like a smooth log of firewood... then they started whacking on him to get him to breathe, and as his limbs started to become uncompressed from his torso, he started to resemble a muskrat. It was pretty nasty, and at that point I started to vomit in my mouth just a little bit.

He spent the next six weeks in infant icu, and although he's a healthy 18 year old kid today, watching the "miracle of birth" definitely did not make a positive impression on me. I never went back for another one, and there's no power on this earth that would be able to force me to watch another one. I'll be at the bar sucking down a bourbon and coke. Call me when it's over and the kid is pink and snoozing.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL said:
Exactly Tom.
I have seen pompous Atheists who rival Kirk Cameron for pushy offensiveness and arrogance.
I am not one of these people.

I am not one of those who wants to do away with religion..As a matter of fact, I think Christianity is a good thing, I just do not believe in it...It does not bother me if people want to pray, even in public....I think it is ok to have prayer at a football game, or whatever....When Apollo 8 orbited the Earth the guys said a prayer, and recited part of Genesis, so Science, and prayer can get along..My sister is a big believer, and it gives her a lot of comfort...I am happy for those who find it helpful.....Tom

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Exactly. You won't find me protesting "In God We Trust" or the pledge...I just don't care enough to be bothered with such things. I have far better things to do then to worry about words on a dollar.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ditto, I agree on billions of years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions