Airlines and Metal Detectors

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are going to Orlando this summer and planned on driving. However, we found it would be a lot cheaper to fly as we would be driving from Pittsburgh to Orlando. Now here is the question, has anyone taken a metal detector on a plane lately? I do not trust it in the oversized luggage as I am sure I will not recognize it upon arrival. The detector is a Teroso Sand Shark and I know it can be taken apart. I am hoping it will fit in the overhead compartment.
Rich

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it in the original box - no batteries, as a carry on. I NEVER have a problem when I do this.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you can put it in your carry on - dissembled. I wouldn't do that with a Lesche, though. :)

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken down and carefully packed all the components except the control box can go in the check bags. As to the rest you can carry on. Note if you have lithium batteries some carriers will not let you bring them, or if they do, you will have to carry them on in your carry on and package them in the manner the carrier desires~ usually with the terminals taped over. Check with the air carrier before you go to the airport. I've carried my detectors for years by airline. As to why I said except the control box~ dont put all your eggs in one basket in the event your check bags are lost or stolen. Control box is the key. All the rest can be cheaply replaced.

Last edited:

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to and from Tampa to Manchester NH with the ATP, pouch, Leach digger and a shovel stuffed into a padded rifle case. put in baggage. no problems

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't put lithium batteries in checked luggage because cargo area is not pressurized, have to put them in carry on baggage..

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't put lithium batteries in checked luggage because cargo area is not pressurized, have to put them in carry on baggage..

I work on Boeing 737's the baggage area is pressurized. As far as I know this is the case for all pressurized aircraft. It would be very difficult to make them with an unpressurized baggage compartment. It may not be heated though as is sometimes the case.

Tom

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work on Boeing 737's the baggage area is pressurized. As far as I know this is the case for all pressurized aircraft. It would be very difficult to make them with an unpressurized baggage compartment. It may not be heated though as is sometimes the case.

Tom
Thanks for the info, I have had bottles of bath items empty in checked baggage from air pressure issues.

Here is info on batteries..

Airline restrictions on Li-ion Battery transport

Rules clarified on flying with lithium batteries
Posted 1/11/2008 12:34 AM | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

By Jayne Clark, USA TODAY
The Department of Transportation has reissued its message — which apparently got lost in translation the first time around — regarding new restrictions on how batteries can be carried on airliners.

As of Jan. 1, travelers can no longer pack loose batteries (i.e. those not installed in electronic devices) in checked bags. However, unlimited loose batteries are allowed in carry-on bags, though the agency "strongly recommends" separating them in individual zippered bags or compartments if they aren't in their original packaging.

One exception: Passengers toting lithium batteries that have 8 to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content are limited to two uninstalled batteries in each carry-on. Most consumer electronic goods such as laptops, digital cameras and cellphones use batteries that fall far short of that content. The rule was implemented to reduce the risk of lithium battery fires.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/li_battery_restrictions.html

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disassemble it, put it in the original box and carry it on. Buy the batteries when you get there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disassemble it, put it in the original box and carry it on. Buy the batteries when you get there.
Can't do that with sealed Lithium-Ion battery packs..

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huhh. Well problems pretty simple for LI batteries and the rules as shown are pretty strait forward. Most airlines will just have you tape over the contacts on unpackaged batteries and even have the tape on hand. As to why they are not in the check bags its because of fire concerns and has nothing to do with pressurization but access to burning materials. Cargo fire suppression systems are not capable of doing much about chemical fires. Call the carrier first or if you just show up ask the ticket counter attendant.
Pressurization concerns items that have contents that can rupture due to normal aircraft operation~ ie liquids in containers and pressurized containers like hair spray and shaving creme or fuels like butane.

On my latest flights having a GPZ 7000 it has LI batteries. I was asked to remove them from check bags, taped the contacts and carried them on. No drama's. Computer and phone where no issues. Not many detectors use LI's but some after market batteries are out there. Point is one should remove the batteries on a disassembled detector anyway to prevent damage to the control box in the event it gets turned on. Some boxes dont like it when they dont have coils on them.

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With gas so low I drove this winter from upstate ny .
But I do enjoy the drive I know some don't care for it

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I have had bottles of bath items empty in checked baggage from air pressure issues.

I guess I should clarify this. Although the baggage are is pressurized it is not at sea level pressure. It will be at the same pressure as the cabin. It is about 10,000 feet of altitude on a large aircraft. So there is a change in pressure from the altitude the plane takes off at. The pressure will change during ascent and descent. This can and often does cause containers to leak. When I travel I often will put things that may leak in a plastic container to contain any spillage.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread