Alkalines versus Acids in Electrolysis?

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Hi;

I'm always in the pursuit of a better electrolysis solution that is effective, cheap on the wallet, and does not oxidize the item I am trying to remove oxidation from.

That being said, I have seen numerous posts where baking soda or other alkaline based chemicals are used as the electrolyte. Then it is suggested adding vinegar, citric acid, lemon juice or some other acid based chemical to enhance the solution will speed up the process. I know that acid and alkaline also neutralize each other. I have always kept baking soda handy when working with acids for just that reason. So it seems to me that adding acid to an alkaline solution only reduces the strength of the electrolyte. Am I missing something here?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use baking soda only. Works great.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a big fan of citric acid for a soak in my ultrasonic and in the electrolisys bath. Some items I'll soak in soda to neutralize the citric. Baking soda paste for cleaning silver & silver plate, or the baking soda & aluminum foil technique. I've been doing some old tin frying pans that were really bad. One I bead blasted wiped with citric & buried in coffee grounds came out with a pretty nice patina. That being said, You have to look at each item you do & adjust. What works outstanding for one item makes a terrible mess out of another. If you're using citric, order it from the stores that supply home brewers. You can get 5lbs. for just about what you would pay for a few ounces at a chemical supply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread