Altarazana Maritime Museum reopens in Santo Domingo DR

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I received an email from Burt Webber concerning the Symposium and he included the following - I am sure that he will not mind me sharing: "On Thursday night the government had the ceremonial by invitation only opening of the Altarazana Maritime Museum located in the colonial sector. The now, after years closed, resurrected and refined exhibits were most impressive. Most featured were Capt. Tracy Bowden's “Conde de Tolosa” & “Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe” (1724) and my “Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion” 1641. There are others as well. This is probably one of the finest collections of shipwreck treasures and artifacts in the Western Hemisphere showing the achievements of private sector contracting. Unfortunately, although this country has not ratified the UNESCO Underwater Cultural Heritage Treaty, they are no longer issuing private sector contracts."
Here is a link to the museum.

Royal Atarazanas Museum of Santo Domingo ? Dominican Republic ? vancram

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The museum is gorgeous.

It is very nice to share underwater archaeology with the world. Hopefully the exhibits can go digital.

I don't want to "pirate" Wiki's pics, but they include a killer photo of cannon.

There is a Spanish web site here. Just copy it and drop it into Chrome and it will translate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions