Am I CRHing at someones dump bank?

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I CRHing at someone's dump bank?

Most of the bank branches I go to have little or no halves on hand, but I always ask because you never know. One branch of a bank I use always seems to have halves. Even though other nearby branches of the same bank never have much, at this one branch a teller can produce three MWRs by reaching to a drawer below the teller's main cash drawer. The teller doesn't even need to ask other tellers.

The branch has no coin machine. The coins are MWRs in the same yellow and white String rolls that I get if I use this bank to order boxes. Do you think I am just working my way through a box this branch has on hand or is the presence of a lot of MWRs a sign of a dump bank? Would a branch normally have the machine to make MWRs out of dumped halves?

And yes, the MWRs from this branch have all been skunks. Not sure that proves anything because plenty of folks have been skunked on boxes lately.

Upvote 0

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the MRW previously opened or are they intact? If they are intact then you are getting unsearched rolls presumably. However, to address your question, if the bank has them on hand it is likely that another hunter is in the area.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are intact, i.e., crimped on both ends, not taped, etc.

When I open MWRs I pry open the crimping on one end so that I can put the skunks back in and deposit the coins as a roll if I need to (if I use a machine to dump it's easy enough to rip open the rolls at a machine). These look just like unsearched rolls from a box.

I guess I'll keep asking for rolls from this branch. The skunks are no fun, but the dollar volume of these rolls is nothing compared to the boxes.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are intact, i.e., crimped on both ends, not taped, etc.

When I open MWRs I pry open the crimping on one end so that I can put the skunks back in and deposit the coins as a roll if I need to (if I use a machine to dump it's easy enough to rip open the rolls at a machine). These look just like unsearched rolls from a box.

I guess I'll keep asking for rolls from this branch. The skunks are no fun, but the dollar volume of these rolls is nothing compared to the boxes.

A dumb bank would have previously opened and re-wrapped MWR or lots of CWR

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the bank branches I go to have little or no halves on hand, but I always ask because you never know. One branch of a bank I use always seems to have halves. Even though other nearby branches of the same bank never have much, at this one branch a teller can produce three MWRs by reaching to a drawer below the teller's main cash drawer. The teller doesn't even need to ask other tellers.

The branch has no coin machine. The coins are MWRs in the same yellow and white String rolls that I get if I use this bank to order boxes. Do you think I am just working my way through a box this branch has on hand or is the presence of a lot of MWRs a sign of a dump bank? Would a branch normally have the machine to make MWRs out of dumped halves?

And yes, the MWRs from this branch have all been skunks. Not sure that proves anything because plenty of folks have been skunked on boxes lately.

The bank probably has a box in the vault. You could ask. Machine wraped coins do not get shipped to branches by the roll so either someone has a box and they like depositing rolls of halves every so often (unlikely) which you pick up periodicly or there is a box in the vault.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask how many they have and buy them all. Good luck. HH,Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread