gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It finally happened... the thing every detectorist wants to find... my first gold coin!!

Last hunt of the year, and I was digging a Civil War site here in northern Virginia with my trusty GPX. I found a couple of bullets in the morning, but it wasn't till after lunch that I found a small button. I texted my best diggin friends, who rightfully gave me flak about not digging enough high tones LOL! So just a minute or two later when I got a beautiful strong high tone, of course I had to see what it was.

I flipped the dirt out of the hole - and there it was, right on top, shining in the sun. A beautiful 1856 one dollar gold coin. Yahoo!!

Of course I scoured the area after that, and got out a bunch of small melted lead and some 22 bullets, but no more coins. Not that I'm complaining, digging a gold coin from the American Civil War is a lifetime bucket-lister.

What a way to end the year!! I know I don't post regularly like I used to on this site, but I felt like this time I wanted to come back and share it with y'all. They are still out there folks!!

Attachments

• KIMG1121~2.JPG
    KIMG1121~2.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 98,078
  • KIMG1126~2.JPG
    KIMG1126~2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 366
  • KIMG1120.JPG
    KIMG1120.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 457
  • KIMG1167~3.JPG
    KIMG1167~3.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 482
  • KIMG1169~2.JPG
    KIMG1169~2.JPG
    691 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 110
OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone! Still hard to believe haha. I decided not to send it off for grading. I'll never sell it, so it's just not worth the risk of getting lost in transit. I did update my display case though, to put it with my other CW camp coins.

Attachments

• KIMG1219~3.JPG
    KIMG1219~3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • KIMG1207~4.JPG
    KIMG1207~4.JPG
    949.7 KB · Views: 21

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That, my friend, is what we all dream of....
Congratulations on your gorgeous gold coin!!!!
Now let's see how you top that ffind in 2024.

PS- I vote BANNER!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It finally happened... the thing every detectorist wants to find... my first gold coin!!

Last hunt of the year, and I was digging a Civil War site here in northern Virginia with my trusty GPX. I found a couple of bullets in the morning, but it wasn't till after lunch that I found a small button. I texted my best diggin friends, who rightfully gave me flak about not digging enough high tones LOL! So just a minute or two later when I got a beautiful strong high tone, of course I had to see what it was.

I flipped the dirt out of the hole - and there it was, right on top, shining in the sun. A beautiful 1856 one dollar gold coin. Yahoo!!

Of course I scoured the area after that, and got out a bunch of small melted lead and some 22 bullets, but no more coins. Not that I'm complaining, digging a gold coin from the American Civil War is a lifetime bucket-lister.

What a way to end the year!! I know I don't post regularly like I used to on this site, but I felt like this time I wanted to come back and share it with y'all. They are still out there folks!!
wow, big time gratz!!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow! Most excellent! Please take me with you, ... I'm in Springfield. I'll buy Lunch:) I'm retired.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great bucket-list find indeed!

Congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

1wvhunter

Mar 20, 2011
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! 1856 Slanted 5

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT Story also

Ragnarok

Apr 13, 2024

That is a beaut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread