AMMO REPORT

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.22LR ammo is still very hard to find here in North Texas. I was able to pick up a couple of boxes a month or so ago, but haven't seen any since. I can find reasonably priced 9mm and 38 special about half of the time, so I would say they are in decent supply. I can also find .357, .380 and .25 caliber ammo, if I care to pay for the higher quality, higher priced stuff. Shotgun shells are plentiful, and I was even able to buy some 16ga small game loads for one of my older guns the other day.

CoinKid,

My friend I would say that you're not looking in all the right places! Yes, our smaller shops don't have the supply of 22LR they used to have, but bigger outlets have the large boxes of 22LR and in fact, I've seen them advertised as being kind of on sale. 223 ammo is plentiful and back priced to pre-Feinstein days. Check out Cabellas in Ft. Worth, if you haven't already. Other places seem to have quite a good selection of various calibers and bullet weights for purchase too. Ammo in general, due to some of the things Obammy's Admin has done, has gone up quite a bit in price due to increases in raw material prices.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 200 rounds of Federal .45 cal, 280 grain, FMJ for .40 cents a round at a gun show this morning to add to my supply. Not a bad price these days for .45 cal......

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, .22LR are harder to come by.
Does anyone remember when you could buy a 50 round box of .22's for 0.59 cents.
We'll never see those prices again.

I remember buying a box of 50 shorts for 25 cents! That was back in the mid 1950s at a little drive in grocery. Also, I could buy .410 shells for about 10 to 12 cents a piece, or about $2 a box of 25.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been watching the Walmart store here in Mountain Home (and Boise when I'm up there). About 3 weeks ago I saw 14 boxes of .22LR sub-sonic hollow points in the store here. I asked the lady (who took the concealed carry course at the same time I did) who was the clerk, how many boxes I could buy. I was prepared to buy all of them if I could. She said that she could only sell me 3 boxes. This is the first time I've seen any .22LR in this store in many months. I found some at the Impact store in Boise two of the last three times I was there. Was only allowed 2 boxes the first time, only 1 the next time, and they had none the last time. I have two .22LR revolvers, 2 lever, 2 pump, 1 bolt action, and several semi auto .22 rifles. I really enjoy going out and target shooting; or shooting anything I see that is ok to shoot. I don't hunt any more, but I sure like to shoot.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I asked the lady (who took the concealed carry course at the same time I did) who was the clerk, how many boxes I could buy. I was prepared to buy all of them if I could.
No offense but this is exactly why there's a shortage. I have spoken to the sporting goods managers at all of the 5 local Walmart stores and it's the same story. Every day all day there are older retired guys who hang around the ammo counter waiting... When a delivery comes in the buy as much as the store policy allows and they call their friends to come down and buy as much as they can as well. The next day, same routine.... EVERYONE who bought into the panic created by Obummer's attempted gun grab has become a "prepper" and is stacking it deep in case it goes away for good.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend I would say that you're not looking in all the right places! Yes, our smaller shops don't have the supply of 22LR they used to have, but bigger outlets have the large boxes of 22LR and in fact, I've seen them advertised as being kind of on sale. 223 ammo is plentiful and back priced to pre-Feinstein days. Check out Cabellas in Ft. Worth, if you haven't already. Other places seem to have quite a good selection of various calibers and bullet weights for purchase too. Ammo in general, due to some of the things Obammy's Admin has done, has gone up quite a bit in price due to increases in raw material prices.

Guess I should have said that I haven't really gone too far out of the way to find ammo either. I check the ammo cases at the local Walmart whenever I'm there, usually once a week, and at Academy Sports probably twice a month. I also make an occasional trip to Bass Pro, but haven't tried Cabellas yet. I have heard that Cabellas is stocked with ammo better than some of the others. Since i'm off tomorrow and only 20 minutes away, I might just give them a try.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent a little bit of time today checking for ammo at a few local North Texas outlets. Two local Walmarts, as usual, were out of just about everything. Not sure why I still bother. The local Academy Sports had a little better inventory (mostly high grade, high price ammo), but no .22LR. Then headed to Cabelas at Unclebuck257's suggestion. Far and away the best stock of any place I've been this year, but very pricey. Winchester SuperX .22LR hollow points were $7.99 for a box of 50, with a daily 2 box limit. $0.16 per round - OUCH. Hardly worth the price or effort, but feeling desperate, I took 2 boxes. When is this going to end?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Anyone who is looking for ammo at this time unless you need it for a gun you bought recently is late to the party. You should have seen this coming and prepared a long time ago. 16 cents a rd for .22 ? It wasn't that long ago when 16 cents would buy a rd of .223 or .308 military surplus. I will admit though that I never expected the shortage of .22 stuff. So called "assault rifle" ammo and large caliber pistol ammo was to be expected and that is showing back up.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone who is looking for ammo at this time unless you need it for a gun you bought recently is late to the party. You should have seen this coming and prepared a long time ago. 16 cents a rd for .22 ? It wasn't that long ago when 16 cents would buy a rd of .223 or .308 military surplus. I will admit though that I never expected the shortage of .22 stuff. So called "assault rifle" ammo and large caliber pistol ammo was to be expected and that is showing back up.

Well.....I'm good with my .243, 12ga, 16ga, .357, 38 special, and .25 stock, and have been for some time. Been trying to buy .22LR since last Christmas, with only intermittent success. Guess I read the wrong tea leaves on the .22LR.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw some .50 BMG ammo for sale when I went drooling,I mean looking at guns in a couple of gunshops.290 bucks for 50 rounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread