BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking for hours trying to find someone who has converted a DFX from a land machine to a water machine, I concluded that no one has done it. Probably smart due to the cost of one of these things.
However, I cannot afford a water machine right now. So, I made my own amphibious DFX.
I started with my hip mount kit from Whites. ($54)
I found and purchased an old military surplus an/paq-4c weatherproof box. Perfect fit. ($15)
I removed the seal, added a bead of polyurethane weather sealant and reinstalled the stock seal. Submerged the box and it is now waterproof. At least to 3 feet. I don’t think I will be doing any diving with this set up. This set up is pretty heavy. Although with all the parts inside the box, it does float. It takes about 11lbs to sink the box. Neutral buoyancy it is not.
After obtaining the box I purchased one medium Blue Sea CableClam to run the headphone cable and coil cable thru the box. ($21)
To get the unit off of the handle, I simply removed the handle and unit from the shaft. I opened the DFX up, removed the speakers wires and loosened the ribbon wire connection. I put the cableclams between the hinges of the box. This way the cableclam is flush with the hinges and doesn't really get in the way.
I removed the screw that holds the control panel to the handle. Now, all I had to do was remove all the silicone from the handle and slowly pull the ribbon through the handle. Once that was done, I put the ribbon back into the connector, reattached the speaker leads and closed the box.
Now that it is all put together, I have both a strap to wear across my shoulder for when I am in deeper water and I also have straps to hold the box to the handle. It is a little heavy at times, but when I am in the water, I can let it float and let my arm relax.
For water hunting I don't care about the display. I dig it all anyway. I am usually on beach/jewelry or all metal mode.

For less than $100 I now have an amphibious DFX. I go the beach just a couple times per year and to the lakes about a dozen times a year, so this set up will do fine for how little I hunt in the water. If I hunt more and this begins to be a bother, I will look into a permanent water machine.

Attachments

• box4.jpg
    box4.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 142
  • box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 128
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 135
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 117
  • box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 148
  • box6.jpg
    box6.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 120

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea interesting really it does look awkward from how i c it may not b but to me it kinda does how deep have u gone with it? I know its Lille u said not a water machine but u did know that u could go in the water u know up to right befor the Box that would have gotten u in the water & set up still for land they also I think make a tall Man shaft i was thinking on extending the shaft real Long or as Long as needed & puttin even 2 cables together to get the length needed heat shrinked to b water proof then when the time cams for water just put the Extended rod on & the coil with Extended wire when done back to normal but u also do have a water set up to

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set up. I've seen guys with the controls for land detectors mounted on a shaft over their head.

OP
OP
BigBeefy

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am aware that I can get in water with the DFX up to the box. In the lakes, that was fine. No waves. In the beach, the waves splash up my legs and would ruin the detector. When I am in the water the deepest I will go is about chest high. The box floats, so I just kinda pull it along. I thought about adding a second length of cable to add to the coil and use the heat tape, but my first round of testing proved that the heat tape didnt seal 100%. So I opted to use single length and keep connections in the box.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey anything thats gonna get more detecting in & help protect these detector investments is a great idea good job

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread