An item I sold on ebay led to a unique once in a lifetime celebrity meeting...

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really happened and it happened the way I shared it here for you guys to read. Ok so I have been selling on ebay for years. I am a guitar player and I sell guitar related items sometimes. Long story short, I sold an effect pedal. It is called a univibe effect. Jimi Hendrix used the original one. Anyways, this guy out in Los Angeles wins the auction. A few days go by and he has not paid. I send him a payment reminder. He emails me back with his number and tells me his credit card was hacked. I decide to call him and chat just because he plays guitar. We are talking and he says he has a new card on the way and he could pay when he receives it. I say, no problem. We get to talking a bit and he says he knows all of the famous guitar players. Like Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa and the list kept on growing. I am thinking to myself, ok, Yeah right, this guy is full of it. Well Jimi Hendrix has always been my favorite guitar player. He asked me if I was a Hendrix fan. I said all of my life. He said he was friends with Billy Cox who was Jimi Hendrix's bass player. Now off of the record Billy Cox was the only guy I had ever wanted to meet because he is the only living survivor of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Band of Gypsies but I never thought I would ever have the chance to meet him. Well, he says, let me get back with you, I am gonna call Billy. I am thinking again to myself, yeah right, I will probably never hear from this guy again. Well about 3 hours go by and my phone rings. It was the guy out in Los Angeles again. He asked me to grab a pen and tells me to write down these numbers. I wrote them down and said what is this because they were local Nashville area numbers. He said Billy Cox wants you to call him and he is gonna pay you the money for the pedal and send it to me. He also said since it was almost 8 p.m. that I had to hurry up and call because Billy goes to bed early. So I got off of the phone and I said to my wife, What the heck, if this is real, what am I gonna say to someone who I have listened to for over 30 years and have tried to play and practice their music? So what the heck, I say to myself, it is probably all b.s. anyways, and I call just to see. Well it was Billy Cox!! The only rock and roll artist still alive that I wanted to meet!! He was real nice over the phone and we met the following day at a local diner. I got to visit him for about an hour and a half in person without any distractions. It was so cool to talk to him and he told me some stuff that you do not hear out about Jimi and him during their time together. He signed my guitar strap, I got a few pics with him, he autographed some large pics of him and the band with Jimi and the drummer and I also got his solo CD. He paid for his friends winning ebay auction from me as well. Anyways....you just never know who you will run across in life but I never knew selling an item on ebay would lead to meeting someone I had always wanted to meet and say thanks for all of the cool guitar jams I have listened to just about my whole life!!

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No freaking way!!!! That had to be mind blowing but without a pic of you together how can I believe you. that is really cool

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice story and good to hear that someone famous was a nice guy

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here you go kingskid1611. I did not think of posting the pic of us. So here you go.

No freaking way!!!! That had to be mind blowing but without a pic of you together how can I believe you. that is really cool

20160915_130554(1).jpg

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am sure there are more nice celebrities out there as well. Heck you may be Jeff Gordon the nascar driver for all I know!!! LOL

nice story and good to hear that someone famous was a nice guy

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am sure there are more nice celebrities out there as well. Heck you may be Jeff Gordon the nascar driver for all I know!!! LOL

The only celebrity I've talked to for any length of time was Joe Piscopo back in the early 80's. Most of y'all probably don't recognize the name, but he was on Saturday Night Live for 4 years along with Eddie Murphy. He was a super nice guy, he used to come into the bowling center I ran to shoot pool when he was in town.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I once sold a load of football cards to someone on another forum. He PMs me his addy and it looked odd, the address number was just "1" and the street name. I am thinking, who lives at "1"?? Turns out it was an active NFL player and the address was that of his team's offices :).

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I once sold a load of football cards to someone on another forum. He PMs me his addy and it looked odd, the address number was just "1" and the street name. I am thinking, who lives at "1"?? Turns out it was an active NFL player and the address was that of his team's offices :).

Did you ever find out what player it was?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find out what player it was?

Yes, it was Evan Mathis, who is currently an O-lineman with the Arizona Cardinals. At the time, he was with the Eagles. He has been featured in a PSA article before, PSA being a third-party sports card grading and authentication service.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if anyone of you ever meet beiber, punch him in the face for me

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I once sold something to the Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner. He lived on stinebrenner street in Florida. I'm not a sports fan but it's pretty cool. Also sold a motorcycle magazine to Craig Vetter. He invented all the motorcycle fairings, had his name on everything in the 70's and 80's. He designed a triumph in the late 70's called Hurricae X5. The magazine I sold him had an article about him. We texted back and forth. I am into motorcycles so that was cool!!

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's really cool. I've never met anyone famous. My wife on the other hand has met dozens of celebrities. Her stepfather's family owned Lanierland Music Venue in Georgia. As a young girl, aged ten to sixteen, she met Johnny Bench, Donnie and Marie, Kenny Rogers and many others I can't recall. But her favorite by far was John Denver. He came by the house and they jammed by a bonfire until the wee hours of the morning. She said he was the most humble, down to earth celebrity of all of them, although she said Kenny Rogers was nice, too. She has a scrapbook around here somewhere with all their signatures. I found it the other day and she cried because she didn't know we still had it. She kept me awake that night for hours telling me her recollections. She admits that she was jaded as she thought all kids lived like that and at the time didn't appreciate it. Anyway, sorry for hi-jacking your post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread