Artifact Max

Greenie
Jul 3, 2019
Oregon
Detector(s) used
The naked eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fossil is yet to be authenticated. we met with the national shark institution of new Jersey in Portland Oregon to show them this find. They said that there institution could not afford a piece such as the one I showed them. they were in complete shock of the find. But still nothing ever happened on our behalf of
Authentication. I recently found online a geologist who discovered a shark Fossil that is almost just like the one we found. Except that his was the full shark not just the head like the one we have but the only 3 demential part on his shark Fossil was the head was head?? If you type in 2014 ancient shark Fossil on Google it's the first picture in the images the show.
Please tell me what u think and what I should do now

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a fossil, and its not a shark. It has not value beyond that of a geode, and those are only a couple dollars for something that small. University professors tell people whatever they want to hear when they wont leave them alone. They get hounded constantly by lay-people who think they have all kinds of fossils, or artifacts, when the reality is they just have a rock. When telling them "no" doesnt work, they just tell them what they want to hear to make them go away. "couldnt afford to buy it", lol, such a laughable thought.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a geode, Quartz, in this case, silicone dioxide, that grew in an air bubble underground under heat and pressure. Very common out west.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not trying to be insulting but I politely suggest that in the future you might want to do a little more research first before titling a video something like "world's oldest shark fossil ever found

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About all that fossilizes on sharks is their teeth. They don't have calcium bones like fish and mammals. They are cartilaginous.

But good luck. Looks like crystals in a geode to me as well.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got like 20 of those "shark heads"
I always thought they were dinosaur eggs