outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I MD'd for about 2.5 hrs, then went to explore some woods I haven't been to in a long time.
Todays finds for me: the nice horns, a 1983 penny, a 1970 quarter.
A complete bullet (Super-X 270WIN) ,a copper part of bullet shell (WINCHESTER NO.16 NEW RIVAL)
and what I think is a darn tuna can key... bummer...
but this other thing, don't know... I see writing, but can't quite make it out. Kinda looks like the big fancy "F" on the Ford symbol...but doesn't say Ford. Also has a small triangle imprint and a seam down the side...
Hmmm...??
Also a big washer from a repaired bridge...
Good fossils today too. I always enjoy finding those.

Attachments

• finds 003.JPG
    finds 003.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 115
  • finds 010.JPG
    finds 010.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 106
  • finds 004.JPG
    finds 004.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 110
  • finds 005.JPG
    finds 005.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 104
  • finds 007.JPG
    finds 007.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 123
  • finds 008.JPG
    finds 008.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 101
  • finds 009.JPG
    finds 009.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 106
  • finds 011.JPG
    finds 011.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 103
  • finds 002.JPG
    finds 002.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 5

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got yourself a great European mount for free! My buddy's girlfriend just found a nice one like yours. We couldn't believe mice or porcupines hadn't been gnawing on it for the calcium. I believe your " key " is from an old Spam can. I remember them from my boyhood. Nice finds!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419040047.861894.jpg

Last edited:

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff! I think that's a sardine can opener, ?? The fossils are very neat! I am pretty close to Calvert Cliffs in MD, and having been collecting shark teeth, have thousands! About 8 yrs ago my son scored a 3" complete megalodon tooth :headbang:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That deer head is fantastic, really cool

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. You don't find heads in that good of shape to often.

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im almost certain that is the "Ford" logo with the top of the "d" missing.

FordParts.gif

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im almost certain that is the "Ford" logo with the top of the "d" missing.

View attachment 1094415

It sure looks like it, but unless that "d" is flattened perfectly... ?
Don't know what part that could be?? Been racking my brain... with the shape and all...

Last edited:

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
corrosion does funny things to metal.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
South Texas huh? I live in south Texas? Those are Edwards limestone fossils from central Texas. Just going to say this instead of a PM. If you want to collect fossils like those, walk up the Blanco River from the state park(maybe use the boat) and go up a couple of creeks . Turn right up the creeks and watch the little cliffs. You can easily dislodge sections of them to expose never been exposed fossils. Pristine. Going up the river(it is very shallow) watch for the brontosaurus footprints in the river bottom. I don't remember if it was the 2nd or third creek feeding the Blanco, but there are(were) some museum quality fossilized ripple marks sticking out of the bank. Let me also say this. After 66 years of doing what you're doing, I found a great deal of stuff. Spanish gold, silver and artifacts, Texana, Native American, well, all parts of Texas History(which I teach in college). You are doing it right. I found most stuff by accident, still use a bit for show and tell, but have given most away. I will tell you this. There is a great deal of material still out there and you will find it, generally when you are just messing around. Keep at it and let us know what you have found. By the way. Those fossils really do sell at these south Texas flea markets...

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Texas huh? I live in south Texas? Those are Edwards limestone fossils from central Texas. Just going to say this instead of a PM. If you want to collect fossils like those, walk up the Blanco River from the state park(maybe use the boat) and go up a couple of creeks . Turn right up the creeks and watch the little cliffs. You can easily dislodge sections of them to expose never been exposed fossils. Pristine. Going up the river(it is very shallow) watch for the brontosaurus footprints in the river bottom. I don't remember if it was the 2nd or third creek feeding the Blanco, but there are(were) some museum quality fossilized ripple marks sticking out of the bank. Let me also say this. After 66 years of doing what you're doing, I found a great deal of stuff. Spanish gold, silver and artifacts, Texana, Native American, well, all parts of Texas History(which I teach in college). You are doing it right. I found most stuff by accident, still use a bit for show and tell, but have given most away. I will tell you this. There is a great deal of material still out there and you will find it, generally when you are just messing around. Keep at it and let us know what you have found. By the way. Those fossils really do sell at these south Texas flea markets...

Yeah, Canyon Lake is where I live. I have found thousands of fossils here and around the many creek beds. Haven't been to Blanco river in several years... been wanting to go back lately. I found one place at the lake FULL of many kinds... SO many, I just couldn't stop looking long enough to stand up and ease the bending-over-too-long back ache... I have to take my biggest kayak so that I can carry my load back!!
Thanks, Austin!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, sardine can key is what I'm thinking, nice skull and fossil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread