Another obozo lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Gaffe? Lie?

Hmmm. Seems to me Mr. Obama listened to his uncle and believed him.

This is probably the first time in the history of the world a soldier told a child a war story that wasn't 100% true.

Next thing you know, somebody's going to post that every fat drunk you meet in a bar really didn't play professional football...

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Wheres your proof,seeing as how obozo NEVER had an uncle in the military.Maybe you should of listened to the video better,if you watched it at all.:laughing7:COP OUT

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Chastising people on here for posting stuff without verifying the facts and then making excuses when the PRESIDENT does the very same thing.... priceless.....

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
COP IN!

[h=1]Uncle liberated camp, but not Auschwitz[/h]
rulings%2Ftom-mostlytrue.gif

Speaking at a Memorial Day event in Las Cruces, N.M., Sen. Barack Obama misidentified the concentration camp his uncle helped to liberate with the 89th Infantry Division during World War II.
"I had an uncle who was . . . part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps," Obama said in the speech on May 26, 2008. "And the story in our family was that when he came home, he just went up into the attic and he didn't leave the house for six months. Right? Now obviously something had really affected him deeply. But at that time there just weren't the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain."

Obama's story immediately seems implausible because Auschwitz was liberated in 1945 by Soviet, not American, troops. It's further complicated by a back-and-forth between Republicans and the Obama campaign the day after his remarks.

The Republican National Committee issued a press release drawing attention to the historical gaffe.

"Barack Obama's dubious claim is inconsistent with world history and demands an explanation," Republican National Committee Secretary Alex Conant said in a statement. "Obama's frequent exaggerations and outright distortions raise questions about his judgment and his readiness to lead as commander in chief."

Later that day, the Obama campaign acknowledged getting the location wrong but said Obama's great uncle (his grandmother's brother) was part of liberating a concentration camp in Ohrdruf, a subcamp of Buchenwald in Germany.

"Sen. Obama's family is proud of the service of his grandfather and uncles in World War II — especially the fact that his great uncle was a part of liberating one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically."

Now, in order to rule on Obama's statement, PolitiFact needed to answer two questions: First, what military unit liberated the camp at Ohrdruf? And most important, was Obama's great uncle in that unit at that time? Here's the answer to both: According to an article from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, the 89th Infantry Division on April 4, 1945, overran Ohrdruf, about 40 miles southeast of the Buchenwald concentration camp.

"Ohrdruf was the first Nazi concentration camp liberated by U.S. troops in Germany," the article states. "A week later, on April 12, Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower, George S. Patton, and Omar Bradley visited Ohrdruf to see, firsthand, evidence of Nazi atrocities against concentration camp prisoners."

According to a Web site dedicated to the 89th Infantry Division, "Ohrdruf was a work camp, not an extermination camp, but the difference is difficult to discern. Prisoners were literally worked to death and disposed of by burning in incinerators, which was the most 'cost-effective method.'"

According to a 1998 account by Bruce Nickols, a member of the 89th Infantry Division:

"As we stepped into the compound one was greeted by an overpowering odor of quick-lime, dirty clothing, feces, and urine. Lying in the center of the square were 60-70 dead prisoners clad in striped clothing and in disarray. They had reportedly been machine gunned the day before because they were too weak to march to another camp."

There's little question, then, that the 89th Infantry Division liberated Ohrdruf, a Nazi work camp that may not have been a facility on the scale of Auschwitz but shared many of that camp's notorious characteristics.

That leaves the matter of whether Obama's great uncle really served in that Army unit at that time.

The Obama campaign did not provide any documentation to confirm that Charles T. Payne, 83, served in the 89th Infantry Division in April 1945. And we wanted more than their word.

Although we were not able to reach Payne directly, Payne's son, Richard Payne, said his father "definitely served in the 89th Infantry Division" and confirmed that Obama's account was substantially accurate, except for identifying the wrong concentration camp. Richard Payne declined to say anything further.

Mark Kitchell, who maintains a Web site dedicated to the 89th Infantry Division, said he was able to locate a list of servicemen that includes a Pfc. C. T. Payne who served in the K Company of the 355th Infantry Regiment of the 89th Infantry Division. The list included only the initials for first names.

The 355th Infantry Regimen was the one that liberated Ohrdruf, Kitchell said. Kitchell, the son of 89th veteran Raymond E. Kitchell, obtained the list from the official Division History book, written shortly after the war.

Finally, the National Personnel Records Center, an operation of the federal government's National Archives and Records Administration, put this question to rest.

Researchers confirmed to PolitiFact that Army personnel records for Payne would have been destroyed in a 1973 fire that consumed many such archives, but they dug up a "Morning Report" dated April 11, 1945, showing Pfc. Charles T. Payne was assigned to the 355th Regiment Infantry, Company K. The Records Center provided a copy of the report. A faxed copy provided to PolitiFact was legible enough for us to make out Payne's information, but the faxed photocopy of the record is too grainy to be of use if posted here.

There's no question Obama misspoke when he said his uncle helped to liberate the concentration camp in Auschwitz.

But even with this error in locations, Obama's statement was substantially correct in that he had an uncle — albeit a great uncle — who served with troops who helped to liberate the Ohrdruf concentration/work camp and saw,
firsthand, the horrors of the Holocaust.

We rate the statement Mostly True.

PolitiFact | Uncle liberated camp, but not Auschwitz

2008 called - you missed the campaign!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Red James cash:

Geez - I didn't see Mr. Obama on that video whip out his family tree...

You drag out out a five-year-old campaign video and try to claim our President lied because he didn't say "My great uncle but only by marriage!..." What about families who call someone "aunt" or "uncle" or even "cousin" and that person is just a close friend?

Your desperation is showing here.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only Esther from Sanford & Son were still alive, I could hear her now ...." Mr President, you a heathenous old beady eyed weasel face fool! "

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gaffe? Lie?

This is probably the first time in the history of the world a soldier told a child a war story that wasn't 100% true.
Next thing you know, somebody's going to post that every fat drunk you meet in a bar really didn't play professional football...
Good luck to all,~ The Old Bookaroo

Are you saying that Mr. Obama has the same credibility as a "fat drunk you meet in a bar"? My freakin' goodness, dued! We may just agree on something after all.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OB instead of arguing about every thing enlighten me with something the Pres didn't lie about.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OB instead of arguing about every thing...
LoL.. good luck with that. :thumbsup: Here's a funny story but absolutely true. On one of the firearms forums I hang out on there's a guy who argues about EVERYTHING.. all the time, no matter what the subject and even when he KNOWS he's wrong. Pretty much everyone hates him. What they don't know is that the guy is a high priced lawyer in Texas and he does it on purpose just for practice. Seriously.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really doubt a lawyer would use this section to practice for debates. Maybe someone wishing they had been a litigator.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gaffe? Lie?

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OB,

You mean that fat old drunk I bought drinks for the other night didn't used to play pro ball in the NFL!!?? If I ever see her again, I'm going to slap the snot out of her!! LMBO!!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Unclebuck257:

Reminds me of the old joke about people who come from Green Bay...can't repeat it here.

Cheers,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I really doubt a lawyer would use this section to practice for debates. Maybe someone wishing they had been a litigator.
Sign up for FNFAL.com / The FAL Files and log into the forums. Do a search for a guy who goes by DABTL which stands for dumb a$$ bill the lawyer. Funny stuff. I never accused anyone here of being a lawyer. That would be an insult and insults are against the rules....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen stop the insults or take a time out. Applies to all threads...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread