Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
S

stefen

My thoughts are you're making a poor investment choice...

If a coin does not have a nuministic value equal (collectable quality) to it sell price, why pay above market for melt value...

When you resale these coins, the buyer needs to make a profit, and will buy for 20 to 30% less than spot...

Now put yourself in the buyers place and offer $8.50 to $9.50 or walk away...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If they are of a higher grade, then I would. In Fine or lesser condition, then I would offer melt. If they are XF or better, then I wouldn't hesitate. Now, you also have to consider dates and mintmarks. A '42 in XF is still only worth melt. A ' 35 in XF is worth the premium. Only you can judge their value.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw three '64 kennedys at a pawn shop going for $8 apiece while spot was around $34. now that's a good deal! What you found is not a bad or good deal, but just about the right price if they don't have any numismatic value. If you can find a key date walker or a great condition walker or kennedy then take em!

poftravel

Apr 4, 2012
Coppell, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett TA300, GTAx-1250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paying spot or over for those, isn't a good deal save your $$ for a killer deal!!!!!

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at an antique store in maine on business (and will be tomorrow) and saw a bunch of walkers and franklins for 13 to 14 dollars each. I know spot is barely $12 but that's a pretty good deal i think. I didn't have enough cash on me. I might go back tomorrow, any thoughts?

Thats a great deal on old coinage, buy em all and get him to make you a deal on all of them. Sort through later. They are gonna keep making silver coins for collectors, but they ain't gonna make any of that good OLD coinage again.

OP
OP
bnicholas26

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great deal on old coinage, buy em all and get him to make you a deal on all of them. Sort through later. They are gonna keep making silver coins for collectors, but they ain't gonna make any of that good OLD coinage again.

My thoughts exactly. Plus they aren't gonna get cheaper. Lots of us have said something like "Boy I wish I had bought those coins back in (insert year) when were only $(insert what seems like petty spare dollars)." Gonna buy the walkers at least and will try to haggle a bargain for buying multiples. They also had a few war nickels for $2 each which is only 30 cents above spot...

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Having access to good coin shows like i do i wouldnt pay more then a quarter over the melt price for 90%. In fact i often can get them for less then melt at the Parsippany NJ or westchester ny county center shows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread