Any use for this petrified wood?

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a rockhound but I always keep an eye out for unusual things. I see stuff for sale online but what do you think I should do with this?

20180204_132622.jpg 20180204_132635.jpg

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it would make a cool candle holder if I could make three nicely drilled holes down the middle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In house decoration. If not someplace where you can enjoy it.
If not send it my way, have 3 other pieces of petrified wood. Love it
Did you polish yours?
I was thinking it would make a cool candle holder if I could make three nicely drilled holes down the middle.

Upvote 0

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you polish yours?
Nope mine are raw, one of em was more of a tree stump it’s curved where it seemed it was cut or something.
But nope raw as if pulled out of the ground and cleaned off.
Raw to me just conveys the awesome factor it’s so old and all

Upvote 0

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blasphemy lol!!
Would it even cut or start to cut and fracture!?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha I don't know!!

Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you would need a diamond saw , it's not wood anymore, minerals leach in and replace the wood . I have some that looks like a tree limb until you pick it up , it's heavy. i have one piece that the bark looks like crystal with multicolor green pink grey brown interior a cut block...

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love petrified wood. It shows its age well. I collect rocks and petrified wood and on big ones I use as garden ornaments or house decorations. I find them neat....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you would need a diamond saw , it's not wood anymore, minerals leach in and replace the wood . I have some that looks like a tree limb until you pick it up , it's heavy. i have one piece that the bark looks like crystal with multicolor green pink grey brown interior a cut block...
Yes pictures don't really do it justice. Found it metal detecting....I kicked it to get my coil in a tight spot. Good thing I had composite toe boots on. Looks like regular wood.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it from Georgia? It looks a lot like some pieces that I have from southwest Georgia.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
use a diamond core drill, make sure you use plenty of water if you're going to drill it. When I core drill, I submerge the piece in water and use a drill press. Makes a fantastic mess so be wary lol

Should hold up just fine, but the key word is *should* - when cutting/drilling anything can happen. Just make sure you use a good core drill, minimal pressure, to minimize the chances of ruining the piece. I would suggest against it personally.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it from Georgia? It looks a lot like some pieces that I have from southwest Georgia.
Actually yes it is, columbus area. Not as terrific as pieces from around the world, but is definitely the largest I have found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a diamond core drill, make sure you use plenty of water if you're going to drill it. When I core drill, I submerge the piece in water and use a drill press. Makes a fantastic mess so be wary lol

Should hold up just fine, but the key word is *should* - when cutting/drilling anything can happen. Just make sure you use a good core drill, minimal pressure, to minimize the chances of ruining the piece. I would suggest against it personally.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets cut it up, i have access to big diamond saws and all the polishing equip......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread