Anyone around Fredricksburg? Flying up in 3 weeks just to hunt...

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Hello All,

IM in Jacksonville and planning on flying up in 3 weeks just to hunt possibly some old colonial farm fields, creeks, old camps, etc. My son has a good friend that knows a few spots and my nephew knows a few people there as well but want to find some other options if things don't pan out (plane tickets aren't cheap). Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone wanted to get together and hunt for a few hours while im there. Also, I would very much like to know if anyone can hunt the Rappahannock? Seems like this river would be full of interesting items. But, I dont want to get arrested either. Please let me know if your interested..

Jville

Retka

Jul 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jvillehunter,

In Virginia, it is to my understanding that you can generally pan any "navigable waters" as they are state owned up to the high water line as long as you enter via public means. There are quite a few old gold mines along the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers that could have brought placer gold further down the river. My personal suggestion would be to check out some of the VA DGIF-owned boat ramps, or perhaps a public park like those in Falmouth. If you're looking for items with a detector, I would assume you could rent a kayak to go up and down the shallower areas of the river. Check out the outfitters in Fredericksburg for some more info.

I haven't tried gold panning in the Fredericksburg area, but further south is Contrary Creek by Lake Anna which has proven gold in it. Just tried a bit of panning there last week, and was somewhat successful for only an hour of work. Search on the forum for more info on the correct site to go to.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread