Anyone buying today April 12th?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I got a couple tubes of silver eagles for under $29.50 today. When I saw the crashing take place I went right there and got some. Haven't bought eagles that cheap in a long time.

I learned a new lesson today when buying eagles. Open the tube before you hand them the money. One of the fresh out the box tubes of 2013 coins had a weird spot (like a milk spot) in the same place on each coin even though the rest of the coin was flawless. I told him I wasn't taking them like that and he went and brought out more tubes and all had the same spot- some even worse.

I gently raised a bit of hell and he manged to find a roll that was still not perfect but not nearly as bad as the others. Out of all the new tubes of eagles I have purchased in my life I have never seen them look crappy right out of the gate for brand new coins. Only about 6 of the coins in this tube show any signs of crappiness, and these had it on the reverse instead of the obverse, so I can live with that but it won't happen again. When I mentioned getting my money back on the one roll since I hadn't left the store he said he couldn't do that, but I lock in at this price and when a new box comes in I could have a look thru those to get a new tube. I said no thanks and left.

Jim

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another coin web site I read where a poster had the same problem with ASE he ordered on line. Crap. Other posters chimed in claiming the same experience. Some called them recycled AE's. Beyond me how an AE can be recycled. It's not like they are traded over the counter for goods.

Sounds like your LCS is not interested in keeping you for a customer.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
On another coin web site I read where a poster had the same problem with ASE he ordered on line. Crap. Other posters chimed in claiming the same experience. Some called them recycled AE's. Beyond me how an AE can be recycled. It's not like they are traded over the counter for goods.

Sounds like your LCS is not interested in keeping you for a customer.

Lost,

Trust me, I really wanted to tell them to f' off, but I learned a long time ago not to "cut your nose to spite your face". The regular guy I deal with at this store was not working today so I had to deal with some other guy. This place was about a dollar cheaper than the other local stores selling ASEs today and I had never had a problem with the place before. The regular guy I deal with would not have given me any grief over this.

As far as the ASEs, the spots come from some chemical they use on either the blanks or after they coins are struck, I cannot remember which way it is. And somehow the chemical isn't fully washed off afterwards or something like that. I stopped buying Canadian Maples because it seemed like they get the spots even worse and same with silver Philharmonics. I have even seen generic buffalo rounds with the spots before.

If I was buying used generic crap coins I wouldn't care in that they are still 999 silver. But paying a bunch over spot on brand new coins I want them PERFECT! :thumbsup:

Jim

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.... very interesting. I haven't heard of this problem before. Thanks for the tip. I'll be on the lookout for it. I totally agree with you though. If you are paying a premium for brand new coins then they had might as well be spotless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread