Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
what i found is the pin point is 100% better, its right on an ez. I like the display a bit larger, need that for my eye sight, as for being lighter, cannt tell that much lighter. depth i would say the same, i find the only big differnts is the pin pointing is the biggest thing, and i like that. like to see a depth reading in inches, so as for buying a new one, well if better pin pointing is what your after then get SE, other then that its about the same far as i can tell as the exp.II,

OP
OP
Salvager

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the response rjnail

What about the 'responsiveness' of the display?
I've seen alot of people tauting the better processor.

Cheers,
Jesse

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
The display cursor follows the tone instantly now, its great!
Way better recovery speed in trashy areas, I didn't think it would be as good as it is, Minelab did well this time.

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
The SE is a great machine however, save your money and buy a used Explorer 2! The changes just don't warrant it enough to spend the money when guys are giving them away at $600 for a MINT machine :) You won't see any more depth and the crosshairs still lag at resetting. The signal does process faster though but the display certainly can't keep up. Yup the stock coil is lighter but I use aftermarket coils anyway. Never use the pinpointing as dropping the signal off the front of the coil works great. Just my opinion of course :)

Attachments

• IM000109.jpg
    IM000109.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 800
OP
OP
Salvager

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Does anybody know where a good place (apart from ebay) to buy a used Explorer 2 (or even xs) would be?

Thanks for the help,
Salvager

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Hey detectoraddict, which coil is that? Looks like a Charles in NY design... Looks fantastic.

All the Explorers kick serious butt! Can't go wrong with any model!

Yeah the SE is faster but not perfect, you can however run the sensitivity way higher than the Ex2 but just a tad higher than the XS. For some reason the XS I had would stay stable at higher sens than my Ex2. The SE is hotter on smaller items and with a higher stable sensitivity you can get deeper with this new model in the same places as the Ex2, we're only talking maybe an inch or so, not huge but a slight edge over the last model, that is if the sensitivity is actually higher... ??? Who knows these days with electronics...

HH

JW

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
I got mine two weeks ago and just love it.
It is easier to learn than others claim.
This is my first Minelab detector.

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
the minelab explorer II was my first and I'm not to happy with it

I'm VERY happy with it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For used detectors that aren't from ebay, check with the advertisers in W&E Treasures magazine. Many have used detectors they've taken in trade and have checked them out. Unlike ebay where the seller may not know which end goes on the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread