Anyone know anything about old Spanish Navy buttons?

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and an old Whites 6000di.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this a couple weeks ago out in the middle of nowhere in the Nevada desert. It was about 6-8 inches down near an old pony express stop. The back is marked Lucas Saenz Madrid. I dug around online and found an approximate date of 1800-1820. I sent an email to the guy running the website but have heard nothing back so I thought I'd toss it out here and see if anyone has any ideas.

Anyone know why the Spanish navy would have been in Nevada in the early 1800's? Someone could have had an old uniform out there but that's kind of odd as well.

Open to discussion...

Thanks,

T o m

Attachments

• Button Rear.jpeg
    Button Rear.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Button Front.jpg
    Button Front.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 9

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about buttons, but I do know it's finds like this that make ours a most fascinating hobby. Congrats to ya mate, and good luck on your quest for the answer!
:skullflag: :occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about Spanish navy buttons, but it is a two piece button, so probably a little later than 1820.

OP
OP
T

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the page where I found very similar buttons.

Mrkdbts

About halfway down the page on the right margin under ROYAL NAVAL FORCES, Ca. 1812-1820s

When did two piece buttons become a thing?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the page where I found very similar buttons.

Mrkdbts

About halfway down the page on the right margin under ROYAL NAVAL FORCES, Ca. 1812-1820s

When did two piece buttons become a thing?

The buttons shown under
ROYAL NAVAL FORCES, Ca. 1812-1820s
are one piece buttons. Two piece buttons didn't start showing up until the 1830s.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in Pa is right on the age. That style was invented about 1835. There were numerous foreign advisors here at the time of the Civil War, so it might be to that.

OP
OP
T

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The buttons shown under
ROYAL NAVAL FORCES, Ca. 1812-1820s
are one piece buttons. Two piece buttons didn't start showing up until the 1830s.

Awesome! Thank you! Good to know...buttons aren't my area of expertise.

What I really want to know is how it ended up where it did. The location I was at is 160 miles northeast of Reno in an area that is very remote. I've spent entire weeks out there without seeing anyone other than planes flying overhead.

OP
OP
T

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve in Pa is right on the age. That style was invented about 1835. There were numerous foreign advisors here at the time of the Civil War, so it might be to that.

Now that's an interesting point. I'll see what I can find about that.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thank you! Good to know...buttons aren't my area of expertise.

What I really want to know is how it ended up where it did. The location I was at is 160 miles northeast of Reno in an area that is very remote. I've spent entire weeks out there without seeing anyone other than planes flying overhead.
If that button was found back east, you might speculate that it was lost by a foreign advisor or observer during the civil war. As it was found in Nevada where there was no significant CW activity, my guess it was lost by an ex Spanish sailor seeking gold or silver.

OP
OP
T

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that button was found back east, you might speculate that it was lost by a foreign advisor or observer during the civil war. As it was found in Nevada where there was no significant CW activity, my guess it was lost by an ex Spanish sailor seeking gold or silver.

The location where I found it was near the entrance of a canyon where some nickel mines were operating.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Save on the Spanish Naval button. Sometimes the mystery as to where the artifacts were found and as to the how's and why's makes the artifacts and our hobby all the more interesting. This will add a nice story to go along with this button. I don't know how it wound up where it did, but it is a great find. Congrat's.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufactured buttons were a form of currency up through the late 19th century, and were highly prized. Most were re-used past the original purpose and clothing, and can "migrate" even to a place like yours where no "navy" has sailed. They were valuable items, and rarely discarded intentionally.

The Texas town I live in dates from about 1850...yet we find buttons (some military, some Mexican) that were re-purposed on clothing from the early 20th century. "Ground fishing" means constant surprises!

That is an extraordinary find in ANY location.

OP
OP
T

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m glad I wrote that post...learning a lot today. I was hoping to find some old coins but I think this button is turning out to be far more interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread