APPROVED

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just got approved for 1250$ at kellyco.. Im just getting into the hobby and have posted before asking which MD units are best suited for beginners but I am tech savy and learn very fast.. If you had 1250 to spend which unit would you get and why.. I will mainly be looking for coins,gold,relics, and the occasional beach hunt. If thats at all possible with a single unit.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you are shopping at Kellyco, you can scratch the XP Deus off the list. If you had another $250 you could get an Etrac, but if the limit is $1250.00 I'd get the F75 LTD SE. Now if you don't mind spending less you should look at

Teknetics Omega 8500
Teknetics G2
Teknetics T2 classic
Fisher F70
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro.

JMHO

I like the DD coil and also require a VDI to help decide whether to dig a target or not.

If you are a beep and dig kind of guy look into the Tesoro's and go with what Terry Solomon recommends.

Most of my friends who detect use either the CTX 3030, Minelab E-trac or the XP Deus.

The only unit that does all you want the best is the CTX 3030 since it is waterproof and is proven in salt water and is the best detector for coin shooting IMHO. It is twice your approved limit though.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi-Frequency VLF!!!! Minelab Explorer; Minelab Safari Minelab Safari- Kellyco

If you go this route you can use it in the wet sand on a saltwater beach as well as regular dirt and sand detecting! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go for it. Why start with something you will just want to upgrade from? Start with the BEST DETECTOR YOU CAN AFFORD! This is NOT rocket science. I taught a 14-year-old girl to use a CTX 3030 in two days. This hobby, is like any other - the old timers want you to think it's a lot more complicated than it really is, and only they can teach you the "right" way to do it. Don't believe it. Buy the BEST you can afford! :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for it. Why start with something you will just want to upgrade from? Start with the BEST DETECTOR YOU CAN AFFORD! This is NOT rocket science. I taught a 14-year-old girl to use a CTX 3030 in two days. This hobby, is like any other - the old timers want you to think it's a lot more complicated than it really is, and only they can teach you the "right" way to do it. Don't believe it. Buy the BEST you can afford! :skullflag:

so in your opinion the best bang for the buck is the Minelab Safari?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that buying the best you can afford is the way to go. Something else to consider is resale value. some detectors hold their value very well while others - mostly in the lower end of the spectrum - are worth considerably less than the box they were packaged in.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari is a fantastic detector, easy to learn too. What some people seem to forget is that when you buy a mid and upper range detector the resale value if you decide you're not really interested in the hobby is high. You can resale the safari several years from now and still recover 70-80 percent of your investment. A used 8 year old excal 2 sells all day long used for $850-$950

OP
OP
B

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well ive settled on the minelabs safari, unless they approve me for enough to get the E=trac..
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread