Asheville, NC - Anything here?

chad99

Nov 21, 2023
I have around 50 acres up in the mountains of Asheville, NC. There are many creeks and streams on my property. I am wondering if there might be someone local that knows what they are doing and would maybe want to try panning or metal detecting for gold while more or less hanging out and showing or teaching me in the process.

Also, please let me know if I would be wasting my time. This property is very remote and likely hasn't had much traffic in 50-100 years. Rumor is there used to be mica mine near the property but not sure if that would help or hurt the gold prospecting. There is a lot of elevation drop in the creek, a lot of bedrock is exposed creating some natural sluices, there is a ton of sediment with lots of rocks/gravel etc. The property has elevation from around 2,000 to 4,000 ft above sea level and is pretty steep.

I have a cheap metal detector, buckets, shovels, and some gold pans, but before I buy anything too fancy I thought it would be worth seeing what one of you pros might think about the place. Also who knows maybe we become buds and strike paydirt together. It just seems like it would be more fun with someone who knows what they are doing.

If anybody is interested drop me a message or reply to this thread.

-Chad
*gold prospecting noob

ps. I know where a huge landslide recently occurred exposing a ton of material, would this be worth looking into at all? Asking for a friend. ;)

Upvote 5

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
You state should have some reports on mineral contents that are posted on the internet and checkout your state college Geology Departments for any info they might have. Plus I would do a goggle search for any prospecting clubs close to your location. I would also look into any other mineral finds , Emerald ,Crystals ETC..... I've read about some guy how started digging in his back yard and found a Emerald vein and it was on T.V. .... So you never know ! :icon_thumleft:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gemstones are your best bet....gold too but you'll work for it. Garnet, quartz, topaz, etc.etc. !! Some of my family members have outstanding gem collections from Ashville, and most were found walking the creeks !!

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in an adjoining county (McDowell) and not much history of gold in Buncombe that I'm aware of but you never know till you check it out. Blak Bart & scruggs shares my thoughts that gems & arrowheads, etc. would be more likely. That is quite a change in elevation on your property, I would check all the streams. Be glad to share what knowledge I have on panning & looking for gemstones if you want to visit my property (Treasure Valley) sometime. Don't neglect the smaller streams, some of my best finds have come from them.

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
I have around 50 acres up in the mountains of Asheville, NC. There are many creeks and streams on my property. I am wondering if there might be someone local that knows what they are doing and would maybe want to try panning or metal detecting for gold while more or less hanging out and showing or teaching me in the process.

Also, please let me know if I would be wasting my time. This property is very remote and likely hasn't had much traffic in 50-100 years. Rumor is there used to be mica mine near the property but not sure if that would help or hurt the gold prospecting. There is a lot of elevation drop in the creek, a lot of bedrock is exposed creating some natural sluices, there is a ton of sediment with lots of rocks/gravel etc. The property has elevation from around 2,000 to 4,000 ft above sea level and is pretty steep.

I have a cheap metal detector, buckets, shovels, and some gold pans, but before I buy anything too fancy I thought it would be worth seeing what one of you pros might think about the place. Also who knows maybe we become buds and strike paydirt together. It just seems like it would be more fun with someone who knows what they are doing.

If anybody is interested drop me a message or reply to this thread.

-Chad
*gold prospecting noob

ps. I know where a huge landslide recently occurred exposing a ton of material, would this be worth looking into at all? Asking for a friend. ;)
Asheville is known for hold I would be surprised if people weren’t already digging on your property. I have property on Bradley creek and slate rock creek and we have killed it digging gold. But then again gold is where you find it and I built my 6” dredge and have a backhoe there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread