Asking permission to dig

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the person...just simply say my name is ........ and I have a hobby in metal collecting and was wondering if I could do some detecting on your land. If they say no at first then say well I will give you a cut if I find anything. If your upfront and honest with them you shouldn't have any issues. Be sure to let them know you will not be leaving craters in their yard. When you are finished be sure to let them know and always pick up trash and dispose of it...always leave the property in better condition than what you found it in! Happy hunting buddy

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I go to a new place for permission I make sure I'm neat in appearance and while I'm talking to the owner I explain to them my intentions and compliment them on something about their property, etc. As treasure_hunter stated, let them know you will leave their property in just as good condition as you found it. When leaving, I always thank the owner for letting me detect on their property, courtesy goes a long way.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For starters, I would leave out mention or use of the word "dig". I notice that's the way you phrase it in your very question here, for example. Instead, you're asking permission to "metal detect". And THEN if the subject comes up via casual conversation, you can address that by saying "... and you won't even be able to tell I was here", or "I'll leave no traces", etc...

Yes I know this semantics subterfuge is sort of odd, if you're working small front yards of manicured turf. Because, doh, how are you supposed to ... uh ... discreetly "dig", when you made no mention of digging (like if they're watching you now through the window, etc...). Here's how I've handled that: When I start, I make sure to PURPOSEFULLY go for a shallow dime or quarter or tab or something first. Something so shallow I can pop it out with nothing but a few pokes with my screwdriver. After doing that for the first 4 of 5 signals (and showing them the boring dime or tab, etc..), they will invariably get bored, go back inside and .... THEN you go for the deeper ones.

But if you're talking just acreage like in cow pastures, farms, lots, etc... then .... it's probably a moot point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread