Asking permission to prospect private property

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, as a newbie I have a question for you more experienced folks. When you knock on someone's door to ask permission to do some panning on their property, how do you generally open the conversation? Today I did exactly that, and was successful, however it felt rather awkward. At first he was a bit reluctant to let me pan the creek running through his backyard, but as the conversation went on, he eventually said go ahead and pan all you'd like. Luckily my father (sort of) knows the guy, which was helpful. However, another part of the creek runs through someone else's land who I also intend to ask. Any tips or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Jeff

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have to have a conversation. Until he gets to know you, at least a little bit, you are just a stranger asking to play in his backyard. Place yourself in his position and think about how you would react if a total stranger knocked on your door. The best way is to meet him and spend some time so he can evaluate if you are a nut or a good guy.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I always offer to show the landowner how we prospect and offer him/her and family how to pan. Once they see you are for real, the ice is quickly broken.

G

ghostminer

I personally would not let any strangers prospect for gold on my private property. You are opening yourself up to all kinds of issues, especially if someone got injured. I would politely tell them no. If they persisted I would run them off or call the cops.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your well on your way, keep doing what you did their, keep eye contact be polite, dress for success, if you keep it up you'll will learn what works best for you, every one is different and has their own little way....

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would not let any strangers prospect for gold on my private property. You are opening yourself up to all kinds of issues, especially if someone got injured. I would politely tell them no. If they persisted I would run them off or call the cops.

That is the sad reality of most people....

G

ghostminer

Not sad, smart. Only a fool would open themselves up to civil liabilities. I will put up new thread on this subject.

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Not sad, smart. Only a fool would open themselves up to civil liabilities. I will put up new thread on this subject.

I suspect the same situation would exist if you allowed metal detecting on your property. Although different than mineral rights, you have granted unlimited permission to detect and dig and the permittee’s heirs and successors could argue that that permission extends to them.

I really don’t know the answer. Perhaps prospecting, metal detecting, hunting, trapping and fishing should be done by people only upon their own property. Even public lands, owned in common with the rest of our citizenry, should be off limits to any of these activities.

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have to have a conversation. Until he gets to know you, at least a little bit, you are just a stranger asking to play in his backyard. Place yourself in his position and think about how you would react if a total stranger knocked on your door. The best way is to meet him and spend some time so he can evaluate if you are a nut or a good guy.

Thanks, great advice. That's what I found in this situation. At first it didn't look like it would end well. However, once we got to talking, and I told him a little about my adventures in prospecting and then showed him some pictures of gold I'd found, he lightened up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread