Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone!

Just into my 3rd month of using the AT Pro here in Western WA state, after upgrade from Ace 350. My ground here ranges from a GB of 89-92. :BangHead:

Would you be so kind as to offer any experience or advice dealing with this - I have read that high GB # affects depth. I hunt mainly old homesteads and camping/fishing areas, not a iron digger, though of course I dig my fair share - love coins!

Thank you in advance - Sheila (the Molewacker)

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are area's by me the GB over 90 after a rain. I find I get deeper hits during these conditions.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try manually turning down the GB and see how it does on a known target. I usually run at 90 on my GB here in New Mexico. Some clay soils I get a 74. Im getting 8 inches easily on my holes. I have dug 10 Inches in grassy areas, but usually these spots are wet soil. I use the smaller 5x8 coil. Hope this helps.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Molewacker, I'm not sure I understand the question, but proper ground balance generally helps cancel out the effects of the mineralized soil, so too does a DD coil. Don't get me wrong there is still a cause and effect from bad soils and salt water but I'm not sure if your asking about running the machine at a higher GB setting when you encounter higher soil conditions or asking about different settings for heavy soils using different sensitivity settings. You can bump the sensitivity and use zero mode in pro mode to help on this issue. You can also bump the settings on the manual ground balance as well. If your soil is really that bad a good detector choice may be going over to the AT Gold. Typically Gold detectors handle heavier soils better. Good Luck! Opie

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molewacker, I'm not sure I understand the question, but proper ground balance generally helps cancel out the effects of the mineralized soil, so too does a DD coil. Don't get me wrong there is still a cause and effect from bad soils and salt water but I'm not sure if your asking about running the machine at a higher GB setting when you encounter higher soil conditions or asking about different settings for heavy soils using different sensitivity settings. You can bump the sensitivity and use zero mode in pro mode to help on this issue. You can also bump the settings on the manual ground balance as well. If your soil is really that bad a good detector choice may be going over to the AT Gold. Typically Gold detectors handle heavier soils better. Good Luck! Opie

Opie - thank you for your input - I run pro mode, no disc - 1-2 from the top on sensitivity - just looking for others who have high gb and any tips or tricks they may have for searching

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to you Molewacker, keep me in the loop if ya get more info. Happy hunting and stay Gold!! Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions