AT Pro true all metal ?

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hearing that the at doesnt have a true all metal mode.Honestly im not quite sure what that means BUT!!. Today was using the at on my property comparing depth with another one of my detectors when i tried something different with the at. Now! im no expert and im learning everyday and you all probably already know this,but it was new to me. I was running the atp in pro zero mode with no descrim of any kind.I turned on iron audio (this area of my property is loaded with iron) and there was no low tones on the iron,it was lower mid tones and the vdi numbers were steady and didnt jump around.Every target i went over had very steady numbers.Then i tried it on good targets (didnt try on coins yet) like some bullets and jar lids and some brass and still got the higher tones and good steady numbers.What im wondering would this be called true all metal mode.....Bear with me ...im still learning lol...Thanx Barrywk

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
What you are describing is a zero discrimination mode. The true all metal mode gives better sensitivity and better depth compared to a zero discrimination mode. The zero discrimination mode picks up nearly all conductives in the matrix, the zero discrimination mode has pre-set parameters on both high and low conductors. For most applications, zero discrimination works well, as it is preset to pick up most common sought after targets such as coins, jewelry and many relics. Gold hunters like the true all metal mode, as it gives a sensitivity advantage, especially when combined with a positive change in audio when using the threshold feature. This also gives a depth advantage. I tried to prove this using the data below. The AT Gold also gives a VDI reading for targets, and you can also incorporate the iron audio to instantly identify iron. A great feature for all types of hunting.

snipercoilgraph.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
With atpro, SET IN IRON AUDIO ON, any signal in the iron range 1 thru 39 that is greater than the iron scrim number that the machine is set at will SOUND OFF MID TONE, NOT LOW TONE. For example, if you are set at iron scrim 29, anything up to and including 29 will bark iron and anything 30 or over will sound mid tone (or high tone if the target is in high pitch zone). With iron audio OFF, all signals up to 39 will sound low tone. If your iron scrim is set to zero, and you have iron audio ON, you wont get ANY LOW TONES at all because in iron audio ON, everything above the iron setting number will sound mid tone. Iron audio is designed under the notion that a deep nail might give say a 27 number. So if you are set at 27 iron scrim, it will sound like iron. But if the nail is very near say a wheaty, the combined response may break into a 30ish number, and if you had iron audio on, the signal will break into the mid tone range, which to some may seem as a benefit, they may be tempted to dig it. All of this is very well described in the owners manual. Its a cool little tool but I dont see the need to use it. I cant stand iron audio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx john...but im still confused as to why in iron audio i wasnt getting the iron tones but i was getting iron numbers on the vdi,because unless my machine is malfuntioning,that means i have to have iron discrimed before the iron audio works.Is this the way the atp is programmed

OP
OP
B

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx gleaner,your reply came in as i was typing last message.I understand now about the iron audio

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx gleaner,your reply came in as i was typing last message.I understand now about the iron audio
thats what this site is for come back anytime if you have questions. Lots of experience on tnet.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With atpro, SET IN IRON AUDIO ON, any signal in the iron range 1 thru 39 that is greater than the iron scrim number that the machine is set at will SOUND OFF MID TONE, NOT LOW TONE. For example, if you are set at iron scrim 29, anything up to and including 29 will bark iron and anything 30 or over will sound mid tone (or high tone if the target is in high pitch zone). With iron audio OFF, all signals up to 39 will sound low tone. If your iron scrim is set to zero, and you have iron audio ON, you wont get ANY LOW TONES at all because in iron audio ON, everything above the iron setting number will sound mid tone. Iron audio is designed under the notion that a deep nail might give say a 27 number. So if you are set at 27 iron scrim, it will sound like iron. But if the nail is very near say a wheaty, the combined response may break into a 30ish number, and if you had iron audio on, the signal will break into the mid tone range, which to some may seem as a benefit, they may be tempted to dig it. All of this is very well described in the owners manual. Its a cool little tool but I dont see the need to use it. I cant stand iron audio.
Ive never used iron audio...I can tell a bottle cap without it...a lot of people don't understand what iron audio does.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive never used iron audio...I can tell a bottle cap without it...a lot of people don't understand what iron audio does.
Same here lookindown I have four seasons now with atp. It took me a while to wrap my mind around IA but I still dont use it. To really understand IA we must explore the opposite side of the coin: What happens with iron signals that come in BELOW the iron scrim number setting? With IA off, the iron wont make any sound. Its scrimmed out. Usually bottle caps will come in high and may do so with iron scrim set at 35 or more depending on cap depth. So the machine will bark high pitch, but we can hear the brief crappy low tone growlings before and after the rather tinny and fake high pitch, its a bottle cap and we dont "need" IA. But you gotta put the time in to learn this.

Turn IA on and any target below the iron scrim setting will be allowed, with a different response, especially on caps. It is a more spread out controlled lowHIGHlow response going each way. The low tone is more apparent and not as brief and scatchy. To really get a grip on IA sounds view Garrett's ATP instructional video #3 on their site. FF to about 7 minutes. Personally I hunt so many trashy parks loaded with caps that I just forced myself to never use IA. Garrett does not recommend using IA in heavy trash.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a good tool to learn the machine. Keep the sense down for a while and when you get a rather tempting high pitch scratchy crapper bottle cap signal with little crappy low grumblings just before and after the target, switch to IA and Viola! Bottle cap (or the like). Garrett says it shows the target to be "unmistakeably iron" and its true. If it was anything non ferrous, the machine would not respond that way. I can see this being very useful in clean areas I might try it someday. Right now I am looking at a bad high wind blizzard out my window they forecast 14+ inches snow tonight big nor'easter coming thru.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea we have been getting hit hard from the north all day. Rds are bad but forecast looks good in couple of days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions