Atlatl Straightener!

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
The grooved palm type may be common up north but this kind is a crazy uncommon find for South Louisiana!

Nearly none like this type are found in Louisiana as far as I know and it seems it would fit a pretty large shaft.

And - it was found about a mile from the ONLY other of this type that I've ever found --- in a pile of spoil dirt left by diggers! Looked like they dug hard at 4-5 feet deep sometime last year and this may have been tossed in the big shovel fulls of overburden. This particular area has been completely turned over several times over the years but stuff still pops out now and again...

In all my years of looking I've only found 4-5 more made of either chert or sandstone and a couple of those are kind of questionable - these sure aren't!

Atlatl straightener 1.jpg Atlatl straightener 2.jpg Atlatl straightener 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Or this from out west
Yes, that is the more popular version I was referring to above from "up north" - It became prolific after the introduction of the bow and arrow. Holding the heated stone to a heated wooden arrow rather quickly takes out the slight bends.
Toddspoint's version is a straightener too- but actually called an arrow "wrench". It was used on wooden shafts as well, but only the stick was heated and held till it cooled. Yours is actually better and easier to work a small dry arrow shaft.
A third type, Larger sandstones, were used to grind larger wood shaft of spears to get an even taper to the smaller end.
The version I posted above does resemble a plummet or net weight, as a few pointed out, but it is not round, or full grooved - and one side is sharp the other side is worn. It would certainly cut plant or gut rope. It was, however, used to cut the leaf knot off of native cane "bamboo" and rub off the two ridges on both sides of the flat spot just above each leaf and the full ring. The flatness allows both hands to pull it at a close angle to the cane.
Never found evidence the Atakapas or other costal tribes used heat to straighten anything, much less already very straight cane. In play, I've used (one like) the same tool above to make about 50 shafts over the years... Takes about 5 minutes to perfect a 5 foot shaft.
But- it's definitely a net weight in order to avoid arguing with fellow T-netters.
It's not easy to notice the sharp side. Then again, I've talked to lifelong diggers that never heard of an atlatl, and still believe all arrowheads went on arrows...
I appreciate everyone's comments either way.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I've found several dozens of those over the years that look just like yours. Mostly made of sandstone but sometimes other soft stones like slate or graphite etc. Mine are from sites on or very close to the ocean or rivers/lakes. I'm pretty sure mine are notched weights but I am up in MA. They certainly could be used for other purposes by other cultures. Nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions