Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to not go detecting today. So I didn't set the alarm. I knew it was going to be coolllddd today, so when I got up at 6:38, I knew I was done. After all, it was time to feed the cats. So by 7:30 I was out the door for a 115 mile drive to a Virginia site a lot of bullets and some buttons and a few plates and other stuff have come from. Now, in all reality, the place has been pounded. I was 2 hours behind the others who came. No biggie. I got out of the truck and went over to some ground I wanted to try. Not much but aluminum junk there.

I meandered over to my one hunting buddy and got a decent signal on the Deus, in the "70"'s. It was the base to a Williams Cleaner bullet. So at least I didn't have to go home empty handed. I walked around some big rocks and brush and got a little squeaky signal. It was a percussion cap down about 4-5".

I then decided to hunt in that general area. The guys were going all over the place, looking for a honey hole.

Third good target was a large size flat button, no backmark called a "basket weave" pattern. A button! From this hunted out site! Next came a small piece or two of lead, more aluminum, and another base to a Williams cleaner bullet. So I now feel it was worth the trip.

I started circling myself, and got a deep, "I'm not sure about this" kind of target, but I followed my own advice and started finding small rectangular pieces of old brass.

Well, I spent 45 minutes on that little hole, and the brass pieces fit together. It looks as though (best guess) due to the uniformity, the item was deliberately bent into a smaller rectangle and thrown down.

It would have been about 2.5" long, the entire top is there and rolled over on itself. There is a geometric pattern on the top piece.

The center section is a set of pillars, like on the Georgia State Seal buttons and plates. All the pieces fit together in this middle section. I only have one piece or so of the bottom.

It LOOKS LIKE a Georgia hat plate, kinda sorta, but the Georgia seal only has 3 pillars, this was a known Civil War battlefield, and Georgia troops were present. Just as I got done digging this and two whole aluminum cans within 6 inches of the "hat plate", I thought I had come up with another Confederate "I" button, but it was shotgun shell base that tricked me. It could just be the top to a snuff box or something. With that many pillars kind of also looks like the back to a Lincoln cent. Just wrong century.

I will take more pics in the am.

Can anyone put a positive ID on this lightweight brass plate? And of course rotate 90 degrees to the right. (clockwise) I'll get the better camera going soon, it doesn't do that.

IMG_0211.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 21

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't put a positive I.D on it Smokey but it kind of look's like it has more of a "floral" design for a Ga. hat or shako badge :dontknow: Sure would be nice if you're right. Can't wait for more info :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civilman1, there is a floral design on the top for sure. I may try to unbend it, it will snap further if I do. Those arches reminded me of the Lincoln memorial, but that hadn't been built or thought of yet. It was still a thrill pulling it out of the ground, whatever it is.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun day always good to follow your instincs on those iffy signals good job interested to see what that turns out to be. You are a true treasure hunter my friend. Tommy

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bring home the goods !

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two AT MAX's, the two Equinox 800's and the 3030 missed it! We were all for awhile, at any rate, all over this little piece of land. And I missed it the first day out a few weeks ago. There were two large pieces of iron on one side of it, 8" away and a smashed aluminum can, size of a potted meat food can, 6" on the other side of it.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I hope you can ID it. Congrats on the button! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked at as many sources as possible, and now do not think it is military, however, I believe 100% it was lost at the time of the battle.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, glad you got out today! :occasion14:

Getting up early in the morning only fuels the desire to detect! :headbang:

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting set of brass pieces. I love finding stuff like this even if it not military. Great job.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to try to reassemble it tomorrow.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been annealed and straightened out as much as possible. I am painstakingly recreating it in proper order. Should be done soon. I'm using the black background of the bottom of a small Riker mount and Elmer's glue to attach it, then will put a spacer around the edge and the glass on top for a 3D style mount. Give me a couple hours.

Monet4sky

Feb 11, 2019
Upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Xp deus, 9inch coil, HF elliptical, whites underwater pulse induction, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All sorted and glued out, now where did I put the piece of the new camera to connect it to the computer to download the pic? That's me!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Great perservence. Patience pays off.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several pieces had to be annealed, so they are the reddish ones. Ideas? DSCN0030.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions