AWEsome map site

ned_x86

May 31, 2011
Wisconsin
New to the forums, I am, but I came across this incredible map site tonight, and I needed to share it with you all. Granted, I have not looked through all the previous posts, but I don't think it's been mentioned here before. If it has, my apologies.

http://www.historicmapworks.com

I spent a few hours tonight looking through maps of rural MN where my folks live. Through looking at the old plat maps they have (earliest was 1887, and they didn't have maps from every year) I discovered that there was not only one farmstead across the road from where my parents are, but, at one time, two. In addition I found out there was a schoolhouse not a quarter mile away from where I grew up as early as 1914 to as late as (possibly) 1960. I only looked at maps from MN, so I don't know what they offer for other states. There's a watermark in the images unless you sign up (have to pay?), but I was able to look past it. I was frankly amazed at the number of maps they had available for view for a rural county in MN. Sure beats driving the six hours back to the old stomping grounds and paging through old plat books at the historical society. Though I think I'll do that sometime soon.

I hope the site helps someone find some amazing history, personal or otherwise. Again, I apologize if I am echoing another poster.

Happy Hunting!

ned

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread