Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An elderly man asked me today if I found anything good today detecting. I answered no, not really, a few memorials and a lot of pull tabs and pull rings. He laughed as I told him about the sheer numbers of the pull tabs and rings that were in the ground. Then he told me that in his day, there was so much gum wrapper foil that it drove you nuts. He had detected from 69 to 76 and he pretty much dug it all. I told him that I cringe when I see someone tossing a pull tab, he laughed again. I let him hold my detector for a moment so that he could see how light it was, I had the 6" coil on the Nox. He looked at me and asked, "You can find stuff with this? It doesn't weigh anything!" He was amazed, said that he had to use a harness for his and it was a work out to use it. He said that he used cheap hunting knives to dig with as he looked at my Sampson. I told him that my shovel doubled as a crutch for me to walk with. Then he told me again that in his day, foil from gum wrappers were lousy bad. I smiled and nodded yes as he wandered off. Someday that will be me LOL.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story DL! I recall the old foil wrappers, luckily the gum isn't wrapped in foil anymore!

damian1013

Apr 1, 2019
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Im finding vaping cartridges when I metal detect....it sucks

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Now Im finding vaping cartridges when I metal detect....it sucks

Yeah, it sucks. It makes me sick seeing this stuff all over kiddies playgrounds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting back then with my trusty Garrett BFO dig it all machine. It had a big box but there wasn't much in it and it didn't really weigh a lot. (I was a lot younger too, and stronger) Yeah, gum wrapper foil was a a pain and so were rusty bottle caps. BUT, there were almost no pull tabs and NO aluminum screw-on bottle caps in the ground. Virtually all dimes, quarters, and halves in the ground were silver. ALL sites in my county were virgin. Nobody knew what we were up to and nobody cared. I think I would trade all my modern high tech machines for a chance to hunt all that virgin ground with a BFO again.

IMG_0311.jpg

If you click twice on the photo it gets proper orientation. The BFO used dual coils, the one on the machine now is an 8" coil with a 3" coil. You hunted with the 8" and toggled to the 3" to pinpoint. If the target did not respond to the 3" coil you knew it was a deep target. Machine also came with a 12" coil with a 5" coil mounted inside it like the 8" has.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread