May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally we are back in our stride with this Roman Settlement next to the Metal Working area. We gridded a huge area with very little trash & no buttons! Got lots of good finds in the 6 hour 15 mins hunt;

28 Roman Coins
19th C Sauce Bottle top (glass)
Tudor Clothes Fastener
Tudor bent Strap-end
Tudor Buckle
Roman Nail Cleaner (best of its type)8-)
Roman Bronze Bead
Fibula
2 Roman Rings, 1 1st C AD Romano-Celtic
My first coin & deepest of the day (below plough depth, that's why its so nice) - Maximinus II Trier Mint Follis AD310-13.:headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 97
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 86
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 27

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very fascinating finds Cru ! I always enjoy your posts and finds. I hate to throw cool water on part of the thread, but I believe the applied lip bottle top to be from an 1860-1880 era Worcestershire Sauce type bottle, probably Lea & Perrins or one of their early competitors. HH

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very fascinating finds Cru ! I always enjoy your posts and finds. I hate to throw cool water on part of the thread, but I believe the applied lip bottle top to be from an 1860-1880 era Worcestershire Sauce type bottle, probably Lea & Perrins or one of their early competitors. HH

Have a look in the top & tell me if it still fits? Cheers.
Happy to change the ID if your sure, Cru'dad will need to scrub it from the GPS records as well.

PS. Tried a Lea & Perrins glass stopper & it didn't fit.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 53

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that Roman coin Cru - fantastic detail!! And nice job on that glass piece. It has amazing similarities to modern 20th century soda bottles.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that Roman coin Cru - fantastic detail!! And nice job on that glass piece. It has amazing similarities to modern 20th century soda bottles.

Sorry, but my glass ID skills are not that great, only experience come from digging a Victorian Bottle Dump as a kid. Not seen this lip before, & seen quite a few applied lips.

So UPDATE (thanks to Redbeardrelics);
''The glass Lea & Perrins stoppers, and their un-embossed glass counterparts, would have fit inside of a hollow cork, and thus the cork would have provided the cushion, and the seal, between the stopper and the inside diameter of the bottle neck. The area down inside the neck where the diameter gets smaller, would have been a seat, and further sealing area for the cork.
Your example having a separately applied lip, as opposed to just a hand tooled lip, makes it an earlier variant, before the mid 1880's. It may not have had a glass stopper, and possibly had just a plain cork. The glass stoppers seem to have come into vogue a little later once Lea & Perrins started using them."

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Always, a killer hunt! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions