Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Wife had her L1 through her L5 fused about four months ago it’s been a long recovery, but she’s getting better. They went through her abdomen, so check on that method if it’s your lower it’s an easier recovery. I wish you the best [emoji1317]

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Dug D - I just looked at the dates on this post and noticed it started two years ago, my intent was encouragement and that is still where I'm coming from! Hope you and yours are well, that you enjoyed Christmas 2018 and Happy New Year! Take Care!

Dug D, a good friend of mine had all sorts of pain going down his legs, a big toe he had lost the sensation in for five years, lower back pain and in general was just miserable from the pain. Herniated discs, compressed discs, etc. Had injections to the area twice that were not long lasting, helped some and then the pain again.

He had the operation a few months ago, best thing he's ever done. Some bone fragments removed, some polishing of bone segments and a fusion with short rods. In the recovery room he told me he could feel his big toe again. In the recovery room he told me he had surgery pain but the deep down aggressive pain from the injury was no longer obvious. It has now been a few months since his surgery, he has some loss of motion getting into and out from an automobile seat, he does NOT have much of any pain in his back, he indicates maybe 0.5% pain. He walks better, still chooses to use a shopping basket in stores for support but in general he is a happy person again. His surgery was through Kaiser.

What you are going through is not fun. After surgery you will have recovery, physical therapy and daily routines to work your way into. Once you've gotten several months into recovery check with you doctor about what muscle strengthening exercises you can do and do them carefully!! Slow and easy, build up to them as strong muscles all over your body will be an asset to your feeling alive again!

I injured my back a long time ago doing the classic bend over at the waist and pick something up, what a dumb butt move! Anyway, I do my best to exercise my body all over and especially anything that will make my stomach and back muscles stronger. I'm now 74.5+ years of age, I still backpack in rough Sierra Nevada back country and in general enjoy my life. I expect to return to work in 2019, I enjoy working, and I expect to go backpacking for three months IF I do not have a job.

There is so much a person can do to keep themselves "up and at um" but when surgery is needed it simply is needed, I've both shoulders and one knee that have been operated upon and having a doctor one trusts and then Doing the Physical Therapy and keeping strong makes such a positive difference in ones Life. Being active is something I enjoy! Keep yourself positive, keep yourself fit, keep going because you want to!................63bkpkr

Places I "Still Play In"

DSCN1740.JPG Exploring in here is rough, it is not for everyone but some of the views are soul thrilling!

169_6931.JPG See the Trout in the rocks, yes you are looking through crystal clear water. There is a pool about 15 feet to the left of the picture one can use to wake up with in the morning! Jump, Splash you are awake!

Last edited:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had lower back surgery.. I have had three discs removed..[A brief note.. I was paralyzed and the discotomies were the only treatment] The docs [at the time] did not fuse or put anything else in. So, in effect, what I have is vertebra grinding away on vertebra.. Has been like that for many years now [several decades in fact]. But I can walk.. and that really puts things into perspective.

Now all that said.. yes I get back pain... and my time out detecting is now limited to only a couple of hours [on a good day] a day.. But all in all, I will take the constant low grade, and sometimes more serious, pain over the paralysis..

I was offered a fusion on the lower back... but the risks were too great.. You do have a limit on the bending and twisting.. but if the pain for you is such that this operation is a decent compromise, go for it. Life is too short to not have some relief.

Best of luck

Micheal

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI: My wife's now back fusion did not turn out as she had hoped. Almost all discs were removed and 2 long steel rods inserted along with MANY screws. Her quality of life will never be the same as before. Her world now revolves between the dining room, bedroom and the bathroom. She's 63 now in May and it breaks my heart to see her struggle just to walk. She's had 3 falls in the past year and 60+ stitches in her knee and leg. While her "chronic" pain she had is gone... she states she'd rather go back to that then the pain she now deals with...???

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
FYI: My wife's now back fusion did not turn out as she had hoped. Almost all discs were removed and 2 long steel rods inserted along with MANY screws. Her quality of life will never be the same as before. Her world now revolves between the dining room, bedroom and the bathroom. She's 63 now in May and it breaks my heart to see her struggle just to walk. She's had 3 falls in the past year and 60+ stitches in her knee and leg. While her "chronic" pain she had is gone... she states she'd rather go back to that then the pain she now deals with...???

I've had a bad back for 20 years now. The last MRI I had years ago showed I only had one or two good discs in my lower back and the rest were shot. Unfortunately, what you posted above is why I haven't gotten surgery. My doctor told me it was 50/50 with results, and could be the best thing ever or make it worse. Acupuncture has helped tremendously for me with pain management. Best of luck with your wife's recovery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread